when were johnson & evinrude the same

blgrams

Seaman Apprentice
during what years where johnson and evinrude motors EXACTLY the same. I have an opportunity to buy used factory manuals for the 1974 50 HP evinrude I am gouing to rebuild but they are listed as johnson. I would like to know as this (rebuilding motors)is becoming a hobby.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: when were johnson & evinrude the same

they are the same that year, get the manual....

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

They were identical until Bombardier recently announced that Evinrude would be their high tech motor and Johnson would be their conventional motor. This was in the last year or so. Don't remember the date of announcement. Before that. forever

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

OMC made the change back in 1999, making Evinrude the high tech brand and Johnson the traditional 2-stroke brand. In 2002, Bombardier kept the Evinrude as the high tech direct injected motor and added the 4-stroke line to the Johnson models.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Prior to that, I think the last year they weren't identical model-for-model was the late 1960s when Johnson offered the 22-cuber model as a 20hp and Evinrude offered the same motor as an 18hp. Someone once told me the Johnson had the reed stops opened up a hair more, but I haven't confirmed it...<br /><br />Prior to that it was around about 1955 when Evinrude offered the 7.5hp and 15hp, and Johnson offered the 5.5hp and 10hp models. The following year they both offered both models...<br />- Scott

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Chinewalker is correct that the only difference between the 18 Evinrude and the 20 Johnson was the reed stop. That was Ralph Evinrude's doing as he wanted to keep the well known 18 in the Evinrude line-up. The weedless 3hp angle gearcase was another of his pet projects that he insisted on keeping.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Seahorse...<br />When was the last year they used Finn T. Irgens' weedless drive? I had an early 1980s 4hp with it and was wondering how long they kept it around. I think it made its first appearance on the preWWII 3.3hp Fisherman model...<br />- Scott

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I don't remember which year at the moment, but years ago at OMC Engineering it was an annual event to say, "Damn, Ralph still wants us to keep that weedless gearcase in the line-up"

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I'm curious, Seahorse. Why didn't you like them? I thought they were a pretty slick unit. I'm sure they weren't the most efficient drives in the world, but you don't buy a 3.3 for speed.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Hey, I liked them and had a 50's 3hp with one until just a few years ago. I was just relating the story about Ralph insisting it stay in the line even though they had to have a completely different model in the low dollar 3hp (later 4hp) category.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Chinewalker,<br /><br />I looked thru parts manuals, and it looks like 1982 was the last year of the weedless drive.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Thanks Seahorse....<br />- Scott