When is to early to go boating?

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: When is to early to go boating?

If you have an outboard, then it will be when you feel comfortable dodging ice chunks, cold wind, extremely cold water (coldness is danger in itself), and most importantly not needing ice in your cooler :D

If you have an inboard or I/O, they you will need to winterized until the threat of freezing is over with, or you will need to winterize each time you pull out.

I have and I/O and just started mine up Tuesday. Afterwards I drained the block/maniflolds and glad I did, because it dipped down to 26 for the last 2 mornings. Looking at the long range for the next week, it looks as if another frigid air mass is going to move down upon us. Just part of living in the Great Lakes Cold Weather Magnet Region. Seems like every year, the lakes tend to attract cold weather into the early part of spring.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

There was one year, when I was younger, that I made it out on the St. Lawrence at least once a month for an entire year. Two of those months were in an iceboat (similar to the one pictured in previous post) but the rest were in regular boats. Granted a couple of those boat rides involved negotiating our way through ice floes, but it can be done!

As it is, I am hoping to get a boat in the water this weekend - could have last weekend but I ended up doing honey-do stuff instead...

- Scott

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Weather man is calling for 77 Sat. Taking the Toon out this weekend. Next Weekend we are taking the SeaCat off shore for some fishing.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I wait until ice out and after the buoy markers are put back out.

Nice to know where the rocks and safe channels are.