When good birds go bad

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class
A couple of years ago a friend of mine and me were<br />putting up a retaining wall up at my cabin(original wall rotted out) and we put three post holes the first day and called it a day. The next morning(about 5:30) I went down to check out how the holes looked and standing very still, a bird(legs about 12" long and body about 12" long) came down the trail to check the site out. I stood very still, and thought the bird hadn't seen me. It walked and stood right in front of me. Thought maybe it was just waking up and needed a booster(coffee for me, not sure what it needed) The bird is 2 feet from me, so I move over to the next post hole mound and it moves over. I move back over to where I was and it follows. The when in doubt, run theory comes to mind and I do, up the trail to the cabin. The bird followed me half way up the trail, then gave up. I'm only guessing that this bird has met other people and they gave it food. Might I be right?

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: When good birds go bad

I saw a bird like that once...but it wasn't from my morning coffee. I think it was what I had to drink the night before.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Oh the stories I could tell from my "coffee" ;)

oddjob

Commander

Was hunting deer once and while walking through a hammock a flock of turkey hens crossed the path in right in front of me..I could have kicked one they were so close, really freaked me out. :rolleyes:

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by tylerin:<br />Columbian, being my favorite :D
The local Peruvian blend is pretty fine also. :D <br /><br />We had a guy get attacked by a red tailed hawk about 2 weeks ago. He was mountain biking down a trail and the bird swept down on him and dug its talons into his shoulder. Guess he must have gotten to close to mommas nest.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

We had a deer lease where someone put loose an emu. It would get right close to you, be we kept our distance as they look like they can do some damage.<br /><br />Ken

crab bait

Captain

i think the bird is stalkin' you.. an is waiting for the right time to pounce on you an peck your eyes out with that long pointy beek..

PDS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Crab bait, you could be right! I've also got a couple of chipmunks that I put out birdseed for that will let me get up to 6 feet away from them before they leave the area. And a hummingbird feeder that woodpeckers like(no idea why) and I can walk up to 4 feet away from them while they drink from it. I think they just like me, with all the free handouts. PDS

gonfishn

Commander

I am a thinkn here its gots to be in the water...Didn't have a fish in your pocket did ya?

mollyog74

Seaman Apprentice

I was attacked and chased down the street by a goose once. What a sight. That damn bird was almost as big as me, and a heck of a lot more mean. Everyone thought it was pretty funny. I can laugh now. Must of looked pretty ridiculous.

Gus Mortimer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was drunkenly wandering home one night up a very large hill. the place I was staying was just over the top of the hill and a block to my right. As I approach the top of the hill puffing along I see a large brown bear less than 50 yards in front of me just under the street light. I am freaked! So I just stand there really still and gawk in amazement. He doesnt seem to see me or care if he does and sort of saunters off to my right through a yard. Now remember thats where my house was, and I am not too keen on just following this guy around. I slowly make my way around the block, this takes me right past wher he headed between the houses. As I round the corner to my house, there he is nearly at my door just kind of hanging out! Damn. Now what? so I just stood there watching little sketched out but my senses are sharper now and I am realizing that he is just looking for a good garbage can, and he was, not finding one at my place he soon moved on.<br /> The best part is by roomies were in the living room and had no idea that he was even out there.

tylerin

Commander

GOOOOOD EEEEVENING, My name is Alfred Hitchcock :D