When does Cat season open in Wisc??

tomatolord

Chief Petty Officer
Anyone know??<br /><br />and to keep it on a fishing topic<br /><br />Do they make for good shark bait?<br /><br /><br />MADISON, Wisconsin (AP) -- Although Wisconsin residents have voiced their support for a plan to legalize wild cat hunting, some legislators and cat lovers say they will continue their fight.<br /><br />The proposal would allow licensed hunters to kill free-roaming cats, including any domestic cat that isn't under the owner's direct control or any cat without a collar, just like skunks or gophers -- something the Humane Society of the United States has described as cruel and archaic.<br /><br />Outdoor enthusiasts approved the proposal 6,830 to 5,201 at Monday's spring hearings of the Wisconsin Conservation Congress, a citizens' advisory group.<br /><br />The results, released Tuesday by the state, get forwarded to the Natural Resources Board for its consideration. Ultimately, though, any measure would have to be passed by the Legislature and signed by Gov. Jim Doyle.<br /><br />Two state senators -- Scott Fitzgerald and Neil Kedzie -- are promising they'll do everything they can to keep the plan from becoming law.<br /><br />Kedzie, who chairs the Natural Resources and Transportation Committee, called the issue "a distraction from the main tasks we have at hand."<br /><br />"I don't see a whole lot of momentum for it," Kedzie said. "It's not the responsibility of the DNR to regulate cats."<br /><br />Fitzgerald, co-chairman of the Legislature's powerful Joint Finance Committee, said he will "work against any proposed legislation to legalize the shooting of feral cats."<br /><br />At least two other upper Midwestern states, South Dakota and Minnesota, allow wild cats to be shot -- and have for decades.<br /><br />Every year in Wisconsin alone, an estimated 2 million wild cats kill 47 million to 139 million songbirds, according to state officials. Despite the astounding numbers, the proposal has been met with fierce opposition from cat lovers such as Ted O'Donnell.<br /><br />O'Donnell, who gathered more than 17,000 signatures in an online petition to oppose the plan, was joined at Monday's meetings by scores of other animal lovers who held pictures of cats, clutched stuffed animals and wore whiskers.<br /><br />Even Karen Hale, the head of the Madison Audobon Society, one of the largest pro-bird groups in the country with 2,500 members, voted no. She said the proposal was just too controversial, even though wild cats have reduced the state's bird population.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander
Re: When does Cat season open in Wisc??

Kudo's to those with the kahones to pass this law.<br /><br />Edit: actually now with this approval it gets carried to the capital correct? Or is it law now?

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maybe once there are only a few birds left around the cat owners will come to their senses (and maybe even realize that it's their fault?)<br />Hmmm......<br /><br />Na....probly not...they'll just cry their fool PETA eyes out, maybe chain themselves to some trees, and blame it on illegal bird poaching by hunters. Oh...and buy another kitty that's not fixed to make themselves feel better :rolleyes:

ehenry

Commander

Its cat season around my place year round. Jen E. Dawg hates em.

spratt

Lieutenant

Ya wanna do some reading from pure idiots??? Go to www.dontshootthecat.com and see how stupid humans can be...<br /><br />You say you lost yer cat? Look unner mah tire!!!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Not law yet.<br />The vote was only advisory, held at the spring DNR meetings that are held in each county in the state.<br />The DNR now takes it under consideration.<br />Then the legislation would be introduced, and must be passed.<br />Then Gov. Doyle would have to sign it. Doubt he ever would put ink to that bill.<br /><br />THe law would not set up a hunting season, just remove the cat from the protected animal list, and would allow killing them. All firearms discharge restrictions would still apply. So no one is going to be shooting your cat in your yard.<br />People out in the farmlands have been killing them for decades. Just don't get caught or the kitty rights groups will have you charged with animal cruelty. Don't matter how instantaneous the kill was, still a crime. Its legal to kill and butcher a chicken or a hog, but not a cat. Anybody know how you kill a hog? <br /><br />Seems to me that they should just be labeled as an invasive species and then we could destroy them.

Link

Rear Admiral

Cat Season! ACK! You ppl be sick...<br />I'm changing my avatar! ;) <br /><br />Because of this cat season thing.<br />Anybody catch Sean Hannity today/yesterday?<br />He did a spoof about a "fellow Radio broadcaster"<br />who belonges to a sky diving club that drops cats out of the plane first and then they dive out and the person who catches to most cats on the way down wins the contest! It was funny :D :D <br />And too many took him for real! <br />ROFLOL

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

You need a SEASON to shoot vermin? Since when???

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

never needed a season to be open before ... <br /><br />I guess I'm considered a poacher then. <br /><br /><br />'Tabby Gumbo'... mmmmgouuuud :p

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

while I agree that the wild cat population must be kept in check I have several that I rescued and tamed. most are lap cats now. I have a horse and 21 acres. they help keep the other vermin down for me. if they get shot off the property its no worries, however if I catch someone shooting at them on my property the shootor is most likly to become a shootee. I have buried many a hikers dog,one in front of the hikers, cause they were trespassing and did not have the dog on a leash and the dog was after my cats. I bury them then.but to many cat owners are negligent and a lot of pets in general are not spayed nor nuetered and later abandoned. the dead end I live on used to be a good place for pet dumping. we finally got that solved a few years back. if your not an active breeder its best to spay or nueter. why people will dump animals rather than take them to the local SPCA I have no clue but I have had many boxes of puppies and kittens dumped on the road I live on that I had to take to the SPCA. would have been just as easy for the dumper to take them.

KaGee

Admiral

IF i ever go to Wisconsin... I aint never stopping to eat at a Asian restraunt of any kind... especially now.<br /><br />And a note to you guys headed to the roundup... be careful if Barlow offers you his "special recipe" stew. :p

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Several states already allow shooting cats. They have for decades. Like Minnesota.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

LOL @ KaGee .. they'll never know :p :D <br /><br />A month or so ago durring a warm day I counted between 10 and 15 cats out in fields and HWY ditches on a 20 minute ride into Madison.<br /><br />Honestly, its a real problem here.. no sarcasm. It's terrible.<br /><br />Song birds and Game birds of ALL types have been hit hard here.. <br /><br />yes, there are other factors as well but, this is a biggie both in town and out of town in most areas of the state.<br /><br />when it hit me 'hard' was a few years back on my familys property (just south of me). Farmers in the area have collectively tried to reduce the # of coons, possums, skunks, coyotes and fox to help re-establish a positive, self-sustaining population of 'natural' ringneck pheasants and bobwhite quail. <br /><br />Well, I was out walking on the property and ran into a cat carrying a ringneck chick in its mouth.. that was it! cats were added to my list of 'undesireables'. don't get me wrong - I knew ofthe negative effects prior to seeing it.. this just solidified it for me.<br /><br />20ga shotshells are the ticket for 'em most anytime and nearly anyplace (w/in reason)..<br /><br />I refuse to get bit or scratched by one of the damn things so 'law of the land' takes over.<br /><br />..still 100% more humane than anything on mother natures list of an animals life ending.

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Cat's in the kettle <br />(to the tune of Cat's in the Cradle, by Harry Chapin)<br /><br />Did you ever think, when you eat Chinese<br />It ain’t pork or chicken but a fat siamese?<br />Yet the food tastes great, so you don’t complain.<br />But that’s not chicken in your chicken chow mein.<br />Seems to me I ordered sweet-and-sour pork<br />But Garfield’s on my fork.<br />He’s purrin’ here on my fork.<br /><br />...<br /><br />There’s a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon<br />The place that I eat every day at noon.<br />They can feed you cat and you’ll never know<br />Once they wrap it up in dough, boys:<br />They fry it real crisp in dough.<br /><br />...<br /><br />Chou Lin asked if I wanted more<br />As he was dialin’ up his buddy at the old pet store.<br />I said "Not today. I lost my appetite.<br />"There’s two cats in my belly and they want to fight."<br />I was suckin’ on a Rolaid and a Tums or two<br />When I swear I heard it mew, boys:<br />And that is when I knew...<br /><br />...<br /><br />There’s a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon<br />I think I gotta stop eatin’ there at noon.<br />They say that it’s beef or fish or pork<br />But it’s purrin’ there on my fork.<br />There’s a hair-ball on my fork.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Will the taxidermist be offering a special on mounting pu**y????

jinx

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No NYMINUTE, I think shaking hands will be fine.<br /><br />Jinx

Realgun

Commander

NYMinute thats good! :D <br /><br />Well lets put it this way if anybody shoots eith of my Pu$$ies they had better be insured by Smith and Wesson!<br /><br />Well I will tell you what they have a deer problem back east becuase they love Bambi so much they would rather hit her with a car rather than a more humane bullit!<br /><br />We ain't got that problem here. We just roll down the window and fire :) Illegal as all heck but people do it. I like when they shoot the robot deer. Then they get theirs!!!<br /><br />Anybody got a good recipe for cat?

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

So realgun, you are telling me that you will let your cats run loose and no one can touch them but the deer running around can be illegally killed no matter what? <br /> Minnesota lets you kill those monster cats running around but have laws for the deer. They also let you shoot dogs running down deer. <br /> I have seen house cats in my suburb, who idiots let run outsided, stalk and kill songbirds etc. and just leave them. I can not use a firearm as in a suburb but my dog used to have fun with them till she got to old so now I have to rely on my trusty old lever pump pellet gun. <br /> Only cat in my yard is the neighbors. She's declawed and no trouble to birds and she only is outside when she escapes from the house.<br /> No one that I know in Minnesota goes after cats but if the opprotunity arises, if out after varmints etc, and see the felines going after birds-too bad. <br /> My dogs don't run wild and neither should these cats. Fair game. Only these idiot cat lovers in wisc. are making a big deal about the law which the last I heard would not be passed. <br /> Keep your pets in the house and make sure they are neutered. Collar them with ID and if not trained or untrainable(cats) keep on leashes.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Regarding Chinese Restaraunts in Wisconsin serving cat? Close but no cigar. The one that USED to be on the main drag in my town was found with hundreds of caged Rats in the basement. :( Glad I never ate there! ;) But the Ex did :) ... with her boyfriend. :D