when did the "no wood" evolution start?

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i see many boats advertised as having "no wood construction". i'm in the market for a used center console. approximately when did this trend start? this just so i could get an approximate time period to start looking. thanks gang.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: when did the "no wood" evolution start?

My 1960 Meyers is wood free.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

No Boston Whaler ever had wood construction. That started in 1958.

Bondo

Staff member

Iron Ships have been around for a couple hundred years......<br />I've seen many Steelcraft boats built back in the 1930s.....<br />Fiberglass came into being during WWII....<br /><br />Sorry, Couldn't Resist....

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks guys. i was asking around a little and found out so far that Robalo's used no wood in their fiberglass CC's from as far back as 1994. i think they're out of business? any other makes?also these type of construction boats should cost more than fiberglass/wood types?

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget concrete Bondo. The Navy made a few out of that when steel was short in the 20's.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

including The Concrete Ship at Cape May NJ ... the SS Atlantis

ibm135

Cadet

my 1997 Chris Craft Concept 17 fishnski has no wood.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

I do not know how long they have been manufacturing Carolina Skiffs, but they have always been "no wood". <br />
Don't forget concrete Bondo. The Navy made a few out of that when steel was short in the 20's
There are still sailing yachts made from concrete, and the navy had floating drydocks that were of concrete. You can make a boat out of anything you can keep the water out of. :D :D :D

roadranger

Cadet

The new Mariah's have no wood in them...<br /><br />don't know about the pre 2001 models, though

zj-jeepster

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I might be looking into a Sea Doo jet boat come next season. I heard their hulls are built with like 99% composite material. I just got my 1974 85HP Evinrude figured out now I have to learn the twin Rotax all over again :( <br /><br />Concrete boats? Break out the life vests :D :D :D

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sure, fiberglass and aluminum boats came out strong after WW II, and wood hulls were rare by the early 1960's, but I don't think that is that question you are asking.<br /><br />The "no wood cores or stringers" in fiberglass boats is a recent trend, probably within the past 10 or 12 years.