When can I mow...?

eeboater

Commander
I have a question for the "yard care experts" of the board.<br /><br />I planted new grass about 3 weeks ago. As of right now, the grass is about 4 inches long and we are starting to get a little too close to winter for comfort. <br /><br />In your experience, when is it ok to run the mower over the new grass? I do not want to screw it up as it seems to be growing well considering how cool it gets at night. I also want to make sure I have a good root system established before snow, so I am being very cautious right now.<br /><br />Any advice?<br /><br />Sean

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander
Re: When can I mow...?

Mow it as tall as you can. Make sure you have a good sharp blade to work with.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

DD is right and I would place extra care on a very sharp blade so you don't rip it out by the roots!<br /><br />With all the rain we have been having I can appreciate your dilemma.

KaGee

Admiral

4 inches should be safe for most types EE.

ehenry

Commander

As close to winter as you are....why mow it? It look bad? Have you had your first frost? If you have I wouldnt worry about mowing it.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by efhenry:<br /> As close to winter as you are....why mow it? It look bad? Have you had your first frost? If you have I wouldnt worry about mowing it.
Hmm... I'm not really concerned with how it looks, rather - how it WILL look. By that, I mean I don't want to screw it up right now. If it is ok to let it GROOOOOOOOWWW I will do that. I was just concerned that if it got TOO long, it would somehow become self-destructive. The grass is so soft and seems weak right now that I don't want to mess up by driving a 100 lb lawnmower over it.<br /><br />Sean

Pony

Rear Admiral

EE- ya might as well cut it now, just leave it as long as you can when you do...At most you want to cut off the top 1/4 of the blade at a time. <br /><br />The reason I say cut it is that it will make it easier to get the leaves off of it....