Wheel Maintenance and Alignment

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice
I am a relatively new boat owner and this spring will be my first with a boat. I know how to prep the boat for spring, but what about the trailer? There are bearing buddies on the wheels and currently there is a surge brake system.<br /><br />I know that I should check the lighting and its wiring. I will also check the bunks for alignment and bolt tightness. This is the extent of my trailer maintenance knowledge. Am I supposed to remove the wheels and repack the bearings? Should the brake pads be adjusted? Are they adjusted like automotive brake pads, i.e., with the star wheel? Is there anything that needs to be done to the actuator?<br /><br />My second question concerns wheel alignment. I have a tandem axle trailer and the rear driver side wheel appears to not directly follow the front driver side wheel (see image). In the image, the trailer is on level ground and all four tires have the same air pressure.<br /><br />
wheel_align.jpg
<br /><br /> The trailer is still easy to pull and there is no sway at highway speeds, but I have new tires and I worry about abnormal wear. Is wheel alignment generally possible on trailers?<br /><br />Thanks!<br /><br />Thanks in advance?

D

DJ

Re: Wheel Maintenance and Alignment

HydroSwift,<br /><br />Since the trailer is new to you, I would repack the bearings on all four hubs.<br /><br />There is no mystery here, it's just like an automotive set up, that includes the drum brake adjustment.<br /><br />I would also bleed the brake system and add new fluid. You can do that by blocking the wheels (forward and back) and use your tow vehicle to actuate the surge master cylinder in and out.<br /><br />As far as the alignment goes, it's difficult to really tell by eye. It can be deceiving. I would make sure all your suspension components are tight and the bushings are in good shape. Watch the wear pattern on the tires closely. If it appears they are wearing unevenly, many trailer shops can align it for you.

Bondo

Staff member

Well, Looking at this photo, I'd say you were coming to a stop, while making a left hand turn.....<br />That's what caused the rear tire to "Look" out of<br />alignment.........<br />With Tandem Trailers, Either the Rear axle(Usually), or the front axle Must Slide around a corner.... That's why it's Impossible to push a tandem around a corner by hand(Even Empty)......<br /><br />Alignment is checked by measuring from the Center of Each Hub, to a Plumb Line at the Center of the trailer Coupler......

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A satisfactory wheel alignment can be done with a tape measure.<br /><br />The hub centers of the front axle should be equidistant from the ballsocket center.<br /><br />The rear hub centers should be equidistant from the front hubs.<br /><br />The tops and bottoms, front edge and rear edge of tires on each axle should be equidistant.<br /><br />A professional alignment shop might insert a small amount of camber and a small toe-in, which would be specific to the trailer being aligned.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice

DJohns<br /><br />Thanks, this spring I will repack the bearings and adjust the brakes. Nice trick of using the tow vehicle to actuate the brakes. Must make sure that the resevoir does not run dry of brake fluid.<br /><br />Bondo<br /><br />Hello again! Your comment about making a left turn while braking hard sounds about right. I think that I'll ask the shop the check/correct the alignment.<br /><br />JB<br /><br />That is a very good explanation, thank you.

Bondo

Staff member

I Didn't say, "braking hard " ......<br />I Said, You Stopped in the Middle of a Left hand Turn.........<br />There's Nothing Wrong with your Alignment.......<br />It's the Tires Dragging Around the Corner........<br />Tandems Do That.......

BigDiesel

Seaman Apprentice

Bondo: The trailer was parked, I was not coming to a stop in the middle of a left-hand turn.<br /><br />I called Zieman and sent them the photo. While they could not see the while clearly, they said it looked like the rear axle was out of alignment ... too far back on the port side. Took trailer (with boat still loaded) to trailer shop and they confirmed rear axle out of alignment. Will take new photo of properly aligned wheels this spring, when I can put the boat in a slip and have the trailer axles aligned.<br /><br />Thanks

bencat

Cadet

JB, I have a tandem trailer that is wearing tires on the right side. When you measure the hubs and tires with a tape, should the boat be on the trailer and should the tires be on the ground or the whole trailer jacked up and on stands. When you say they should be the same distance, + or - how much, 1/4, 1/2 inch. The left side wears also but no where as bad as the right. The rear tire wears on the inside and the front on the outside. I have to solve this problem this winter, I don't think I'm getting 5,000 miles on a set of tires. The trailer is a Loadrite Phenoex and is rated for over 8,000 lbs. I have a 24 foot Grady on it and don't think I goes much over 4,000 lbs. Thanks, Ben

D

DJ

bencat,<br /><br />The trailer should be on the ground with the boat on it.<br /><br />Make sure everything is tight first before you condemn any components. Also, make sure any and all bushings are in good shape.