Wheel Cylinder Mod.....what do you think?

sstocker31

Seaman Apprentice
I just finished doing the brakes on my trailer, and all four of the wheel cylinders looked great from the outside, but pop the dust cap off and your greeted with nothing but a rusted mess. I could tell that grease was applied during original assembly to try and keep water out, but that didn't work. It seems that once water gets into the dust cap, there is no way for it to get out. My idea is to punch a 3/16" hole in the bottom of the dust cap (6 oclock position), and also to put another hole at the 3 oclock position, to allow air in while the water drains out. This little mod would ensure a positive drain for any water that gets in, and maybe extend the life of a wheel cylinder.

What do you think??

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Wheel Cylinder Mod.....what do you think?

Most wheel cylinders are just unpainted cast iron and mild steel and very susceptible to corrosion and I doubt there's much you can do to prevent it. Can you get stainless wheel cylinders? Good Luck!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You use aluminum ones?

sstocker31

Seaman Apprentice

You use aluminum ones?

No, I just replaced them with the original cast iron ones.

The intention of this thread was to see if a mod/improvement could be made to the original cast iron ones that would extend the service life of them, rather than replacing with aluminum.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Creating holes in the boots is a great way to ensure water DOES get into the cylinder. If your logic was valid, why bother with the dust caps at all, then for sure water would run out. Those boots are there to prevent dust, dirt and moisture intrusion. Obviously over time water will get in so periodic maintenance is required -- but generally ignored until the precise problem you have is experienced.

rwidman

Lieutenant

Creating holes in the boots is a great way to ensure water DOES get into the cylinder. If your logic was valid, why bother with the dust caps at all, then for sure water would run out. Those boots are there to prevent dust, dirt and moisture intrusion. Obviously over time water will get in so periodic maintenance is required -- but generally ignored until the precise problem you have is experienced.

Yes, if holes in the boots made things better, the boots would have holes in them from the factory.

If you would rather be boating than working on your trailer, replace your drum brakes with disc brakes. There are only two moving parts; the caliper and the piston. You will have very few problems and very little maintenance.

I can say this because I did it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

IF you want to stick with drum brakes you can use the aluminum wheel cylinders and then pack the area under the rubber boot with synthetic brake caliper grease (won't degrade the rubber). I've done this and it does help, but next time I'm going to try running some high temp RTV around the sealing edge of the boot and in the center hole where the pushrod comes through...these things are not water proof and eventually even the alu ones seize up. OF course discs should work better and certainly be easier to maintain but the caliper pistons can seize up on them too...