wheel bearing torque

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently re-packed wheel bearing on my boat trailer.
I seated bearings then backed off alittle so there was just alittle play. After doing this,i was looking in the book that i have for the trailer and it calls for the bearings to be torqued to 30 lbs. This just doesnt sound right to me, is it possible that the bearings should be that tight ?
Karavan trailer...... what to believe, the owners manaul or my experience, what is everyones opinion ?
Thanks for posting in advance...............

Major Woods

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: wheel bearing torque

The 30lbs torque is to seat the bearing against the races.
All of the wheel bearing that I know of then state the amount of back off they recomend, usually 1/8 to 1/4 turn on the nut.

QAE for a bearing manufacturing company.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

30 ft.lbs. sounds too high to me. How does it act when that tight? When I replace wheel bearings, I tighten the nut while turning the wheel until I can't turn the wheel anymore (using a normal amount of force with one hand). I then note the "clock" position of the wrench and back off 120* (1/3 of a turn)...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Most auto manuals that I have read always indicate 20 ft lbs.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Seat the bearing at specified torque. Back off then finger tighten. Align nearest cotter pin hole. Go boating.

4poco

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you know the book doesnt say anything about backing off. But i went with my gut and did it the way i was taught. Just found it interesting and you never know with all this stuff. Things change everyday...........

Just came home from boating and fishin, what a great feelin to be on water and catchin fish............ but i see the new seal didnt keep from slinging grease all over my trailer, Im gonna give up on that one !

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you left it torqued to any value it's too tight. As for the seal, if there is a groove or pits in the spindle where the seal rides the new seal will not stop slinging of grease.

tommays

Admiral

P5241726.JPG

If you axel looks like this you need to do

P5241729.JPG

This speedi sleeve or replace the axel as you will go through bearings pretty fast

Tommays