Whats your opinion'?????

geofthro

Seaman
Recently i had an offer I could'nt refuse! I brought a sf16ft/5.0m, v shape hull ,all aluminum patriot camp boat, made by starcraft.The boat is set up with a steering wheel along with controls up front. Now the specifications for this boat are, weight- (boat only) 520lbs/235kg, Transom height-20"/51cm,Transom width-67"/170cm, Chine width-61"/170cm,Max people-6,Capacity-1200lbs/544kg,(just to give ya an idea) Now they say the max horse power for this boat is 40hp! BUT here is my question... I have a 1982 mercury 70hp outboard, which personally I dont think its an overly heavy motor, but in this case do you think its wise for this outboard to go on this boat or downsize?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Whats your opinion'?????

No way, stick with the rated power.<br />Are you sure you are reading the tag right.Maybe the 40 is really a 90.We had a 15 ft Starcraft runabout that if I remember right was rated for 70 hp.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

I must have the same boat sitting here with a 33hp motor on it. Originally the owner wanted me to put a 75hp motor on it. When I read the tag I refused, and will just repair the original motor for him. It's a very nice boat and I don't know why it's only rated for 40hp, but I wouldn't go much higher, well, If it were mine I might try a 50hp, but I would get real familiar with the way it rides before I put anything larger on it...just a thought

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

If you go over the max rated hp and you have an accident your insurance company will tell you that they never heard of you.

walleyehed

Admiral

One of my fishin' partners has a SF 17, rated for 85 which is what's on it.<br />Of course I can't see your boat but a max of 40 sounds a little light, power-wise...

jafa

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ramco and Fryan make simlar boats for the NZ market of similar dimensions. A 14"6 seeker has a max rating of 55 and a 16" , I believe is 90. I wonder if that 4 is actually a 9. Do they have a website or contact number.

Todd Humphreys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go 4 it! No use spending money on a motor if you already have a motor. You can always take it off if it's to much. Be happy and enjoy.

geofthro

Seaman

Hey! Thanks for the replys!. As its the beginning of winter up here in the northen eastcost im going to leave the matter open for a while and see what else comes up! At the moment it looks like 50/50, A few local fisher boys have said to put it on and guts it up!! Then on the other hand i've been told by dealers strictly not to go over 40hp, I'll ride this one out for a while before i make any rash decisions, Cheers!!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the dealers, Geofthro.<br /><br />You have plenty of time to find an advantageous swap of your 70 for a newer and better 40 before boating season.<br /><br />Overpowering by 75% is an invitation to disaster.<br /><br />True, some people do it and get away with it. On the other hand some never get a second chance.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I can tell you from experience 40hp gets me 27-29 mph fully loaded. Our boats sound similar in the specs, yours being 2 ft longer, but weight and capacity are close.<br /><br />Mark

Mercathode

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you overpower and have an accident, the plantiffs lawyer wil lsay you were negligent for overpowering. I woul dnot do it1