What's your faviorite Striper bait?

bskye85

Seaman
Here in Maine, We eat our trout, and fight our stripers:D If you walk into the local bait store around here and ask what's the good stuff for stripers, your sure to hear some in-store debates about the subject...Cruisin down the kennebec at any given time or day, your sure to see fisherman on the shore, and in boats,canoes,kayaks...ect. waitin on that 40inch beast...and sure enough, If you stop and take the time to inquire about there prime choice in striper bait, its alwayse something diffrent.

Personally, On the big river, i use "Pork Bellys"..a 6-12 inch soft plastic fishlike topwater lure(sented with Gulp's dipNscent) up river....when we hit mid-southern river twords the coast, we switch it up to 8inch American eels on a 50lb test steel leader with 50-60lb test Spiderwire "Supreme Braid". rig up a Barbless(My choice due to ease of catch and release)2inch Bait hook, and a 1oz. lead weight..

Soo...there it is...Now you know all my tricks of the trade...soo lemme know yours!!;)

Last edited:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Re: What's your faviorite Striper bait?

Livelining:
Medium heavy, Dirt cheap, rod and reel spooled up with 15lb line and a live well full of Spot. Hook Spot thru the dorsel fin and send it to the bottom. Usually doesn't take long.

Jigging:

6 foot, medium heavy (15-17lb), fast action, rod. Good quality, 35XX series spinning reel (such weigh less than 10 oz.) spooled up with 10-12 lb Sufix braid. Fish a 1.5-2 oz. jig head with a 6" Bass Assassin or a 12" BKD
http://basskandydelights.hypermart.net/products2.html

BTW: What's up with the heavy line and steel leaders? Stripers are about as "toothless" as they come.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: What's your faviorite Striper bait?

For trolling/jigging a Penn black sabre rod with carboloid guides and a Penn Senator 112 or 113 loaded with 600 feet of 40# test wireline.The lure would be either 3 ounce or 6 ounce bucktail. For night surf fishing a 7 foot to 12 foot surf rod(depending on rips and drop offs) with 17 #test and a live eel on the end. My boat record is 61 pounds and my surf best is 53 pounds