What's under the Deck?

I've got an '85 Fisher that a 16.5' v-hull fishing boat. I would really love to put a permanant fuel tank under the metal deck. Short of just cutting away to see what is under there (i.e. structural supports, mice, etc), is there any way to know if I could mount a under-deck tank under the front deck?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: What's under the Deck?

Are there screws you can remove? You might be able to take some pieces apart to look.

Not without ripping out the carpet (glued to the metal deck). That's why I wanted to see if anyone knew these boats inside and out.

Bob_VT

Staff member

You have an older FIsher like I do if the deck is aluminum. :) No rot to ever worry about. The company was "absorbed" by tracker marine and then the construction got cheaper with plywood.

I have opened the decking on mine by locating the screws under the carpet. I actually went and got a good size box of matching stainless steel screws and I replace them when I need to. I also put a dab of grease on every screw I install.

I have a tank under the deck of my Fisher but mine is a bass boat. There is a plastic hatch about the tank to access the tank fittings.

You might find when you open things up that Fisher has placed 2 part foam in some spots. This might hamper things.

Post a few photos and we might be able to figure things out. Since the company was taken over there is NOT any manufacturer help available. Tracker is NO HELP at all.

Thanks for the insight. I'll have to decide in the next week or so if I want to cut out a section of the carpet. I'll definitely post pictures if I do.

Bob_VT

Staff member

My carpet is glued in in pieces. The bottom piece is seperate from the peices up the sides. You can actually find the screws through the carpet and after a small incision you can pull the screw. No need to pull the entire carpet..... I hope.

Well, I cut out a 12"x12" section of carpet that had been ruined by a gas spill. I drilled a 3/4" hole at about the mid-point of where I wanted to install my below-deck fuel tank. I lowered a long pencil and measured that I only have 5.25" of depth between the deck and hull. It's also filled with flotation foam.

I gave the no-go thumbs down because I need at least 7-10" of depth for a tank. I might just install a shallow storage compartment.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Wow that sound very limiting to that idea. Maybe you can go with a rear tank across the back under the motor.

I thought about the rear panel tank as well one night while trying to fall asleep in bed. Unfortunately there is a support column going up the interior-side of the transom that would make a rear tank difficult. The space between boat floor and hull in the back is a matter of one or two inches.