what's the story with these lower units

piper638

Cadet
There seems to be many questions about lower units, well here's another.2001 200hp johnson My marina tells me I got water in my lower unit.Skeptical about this so I checked it , Sure enouph Oil is brown and some clear water came out.Why? so soon its 2001 motor.I'm gonna replace the prop seal and get new gaskets for the fill screws.How much dammage could be done if water still gets in after I do that and use the engine for a time to check it? OF course the warranty has expired ,, Thanks

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: what's the story with these lower units

Piper.... Drain the lower unit then apply a regulated pressure of 7 to 12 pounds to either the drain or oil lever screw hole. This will allow you to listen and look for the actual leak source.<br /><br />It could be at any sealing area, but it is usually at the large Carrier "O" Ring sealing area that seperates the carrier from the gears etc.<br /><br />The carrier is the propshaft housing assy that is right in back of the propeller.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

piper - If the water was not in there too long you may be all right. I would get both a pressure and vacume check before I did anything to determine where it is leaking. You could spend a pile of dough and not fix what needs fixin.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You may want to change the drive shaft seal and shift rod(?) seal.Also look over the bearings for wear that could cause leaks as well.They are probably ok on that young engine but you never<br />know.

blazed4x4

Seaman Apprentice

Do any fishin??? Pull off the prop and look behind the thrust washer for some monofiliment. Possibly could have wiped out the propshaft seal.

clanton

Rear Admiral

If the propshaft seals are leaking, and seals have a burnt look, insure the water pickup passage thru the trim tab is clear, and waterpump inpeller is good.

Why? On this very site there was mentioned a product, which by the way was featured on Ship Shape T.V which can tell the operator of a vessel whats going on in the lower unit. Now you can pinpoint any gearcase issues before you destroy the whole chamber.The name is GearCheck the # to call, especially for you salt water guys is 877-445 7926. There's no reason to be in the dark anymore when it comes to your gearcase.

jdemarco

Recruit

Availability of GearCheck <br /><br />The product being referred in the previous posting is called GearCheck. This is a new innovative gearcase monitoring device that can save boaters thousands of dollars in repair cost.<br /><br />Before we discuss the GearCheck product, it is important that you know who we are. CDI Electronics is a division of Rapair, Inc., an electronics company located in Madison, Alabama. We have been in the marine industry since 1982 and we are the world leader in marine after-market outboard electronic ignition products. Our products are marketed under the name of “Quick Strike Ignitions”. For over 21 years our company has been the standard of quality for the marine industry for electronic ignitions. Chances are many of the viewers of this forum are using CDI Electronics products on their outboard engine and don’t even know it. CDI sells its products exclusively through the marine wholesale trade. We provide the products, technical troubleshooting and support to the marine technicians who fix and repair your boat. CDI Electronics stays on the leading edge of technology and we utilize the latest in surface-mount and PIC processor technology.<br /><br />GearCheck was developed a number of years ago with the assistance and cooperation of Outboard Marine Corporation’s (OMC) engineering department. Marine engines have sensors to monitor the powerhead of an outboard engine, however, no one had developed a sensor to monitor the lower unit. Especially the gearcase, which happens to be the one of the most easiest parts of the engine to damage. To make matters worse, lower unit damage is usually not realized until sever damage has occurred resulting in great repair cost to the boat owner. Gearcase rebuilding can run as high as $2,000 or more. CDI’s concern is that this is the type of cost of repair that can actually drive boaters out of the marine industry. <br /><br />As you know, OMC eventually went out of business and this caused a marketing delay in the introduction of GearCheck. At one time, CDI and OMC had discussions about making GearCheck standard on the Evinrude Ficht Fuel Injected engines, unfortunately, these discussions stopped after the OMC bankruptcy. Since Evinrude and Johnson was purchased by Bombardier, their main focus has been on getting the engines back into production and becoming a profitable company. Today, GearCheck is an authorized Johnson Evinrude after-market replacement part and can be purchased through any authorized J&E dealer through their Genuine Parts & Accessories (P&A) division. <br /><br />It is our opinion that all engines will be furnished with gearcase sensors in the future, however, this technology, as well as other product developments have been slowed due to the recent economic slow down and the uncertainties around the world. Because of these conditions, CDI Electronics has decided to bring the GearCheck sensor to market directly to the public. This is the first product CDI Electronics has taken directly to the consumer. Now, for the first time a boater can have complete monitoring of the entire engine. We call it peace of mind at a reasonable price.<br /><br />Functions of GearCheck:<br />The sensor monitors four important functions<br />1) Gearcase oil level<br />2) Gearcase oil temperature<br />3) Water/oil emulsion<br />4) Excess ferrous metal particles<br /><br />Any one of these situations can lead to catastrophic failure of the gearcase if they go undetected. These can easily occur by simply hitting floating debris in the water. This can lead to a broken seal that allows water to start seeping into the gearcase. You can accidentally wrap fishing line around your prop that can break a seal and allow water in. Damage to your gearcase can occur if the internal gears start to fray. You can also cause damage if the gearcase oil gets too low or too hot. GearCheck is designed to catch any of these problems before it’s too late.<br /><br />Availability:<br />GearCheck can be purchased in two forms. You can either purchase the sensor alone, or you can purchase the sensor and optional 4-LED display. <br /><br />1) The GearCheck sensor for OMC engines by itself sells for $159.95. The sensor is wired into the engine’s existing warning system. If any of the above functions were triggered in your OMC engine, the System Check warning system will alert you to a “check engine” faillure. At that time the technician would have to determine which function was triggered in your gearcase.<br /><br />2) The complete sensor and display system for OMC and Yamaha sells for $249.95. This price includes $90 for the optional LED display. With this system, the dashboard mounted display provides a light for each of the four functions. When the sensor detects a problem, you will know exactly which function has been triggered by GearCheck. The factory settings for GearCheck gives you plenty of time to get the boat in for service before serious damage will occur. However, we advise that the boater brings the boat in for service immediately once a sensor has been triggered.<br /><br />3) In order to install GearCheck, the gearcase must be disassembled. At the top of the gearcase on your engine is a shift rod cover plate, which gives access to the gearcase oil. The GearCheck sensor is mounted to a replacement shift rod cover plate. The sensor sits in the top of the gearcase oil when the plate is installed. The wiring is then passed through the shift rod cavity and into the boat. Due to the complexity of the installation it should be performed by a qualified outboard technician. The cost for installation will run between $100 and $150 depending on your area. The time for installation approximately 1½ hours. Installation of GearCheck is ideal when doing lower unit work on your engine such as replacing a water pump. GearCheck was featured recently on Ship Shape TV, Americas favorite boat improvement show. This half-hour program shows the complete installation of GearCheck and is available on VHS or CD. A copy of the program in either format is available for the cost of $9.95 to cover shipping handling. <br /><br />4) At this time, GearCheck is available for Johnson and Evinurde engines from 150 hp and up, and Yamaha engines. The following are the part numbers for ordering: <br /><br />OMC engines: <br />If purchased through CDI Electronics:<br />P/N 993-2500 (sensor and display: $249.95)<br />P/N 993-2550 (sensor only $159.95)<br /><br />If purchased through Evinrude Johnson Genuine Parts:<br />P/N 773672 (sensor: $159.95)<br />P/N 773673 (display: $90.00)<br /><br />Yamaha engines:<br />Purchased only through CDI Electronics:<br />P/N 997-Y253 (sensor and display for 3 cylinder engine $249.95)<br />P/N 997-Y254 (sensor and display for 4 cylinder engine $249.95)<br />P/N 997-Y256 (sensor and display for 6 cylinder engine $249.95) <br /><br />Shipping & Handling:<br />UPS Ground: $10.00<br />UPS 2nd Day Air: $15.00<br />UPS Next Day Air: $35.00<br /><br />Other engines are in development but won’t be available for at least another year. Please let us know what engine you have if you have an interest in GearCheck. This will help in our future development for products.<br /><br />To order GearCheck from CDI Electronics, or to receive a video call: 877-445-7926. Or you can contact your local Johnson Evinrude dealer.<br /><br />I hope this answers most of your questions. Please contact us if you have any questions on this product or our company.<br /><br />Sincerely,<br />Joe De Marco<br />Vice President

Capt Ken

Commander

Even tho this unit sounds good, if the lower unit has to be disassembled to install it, I want to see the guy who can do the complete installation in 1.5 hours. The OMC you can get away with just unscrewing the shift shaft and rescrewing it back in upon changing the cover. But on the Yamaha, one slip and the shift cam can disappear leaving you to completely disassemble the lower.

Capt Ken,<br /> <br /> I had my gearcheck installed for free,My tech installed it when my water pump was changed, no problem, and no dumb looks. Check it out gearcase monitoring is the future for boaters.