Whats the problem?

Fishin4fun

Seaman
I live in the Colorado Springs area in Colorado, and I am having a heck of a time finding a place or person that will work on a 79 90hp merc. I just bought one, and am bringing it here from texas. I was told that due to the elevation here in colorado that I needed to have the carbs adjusted, and since the tilt/trim has been disassembled for moving it here to install on my boat, that that would need to be filled and primed also. I dont know crap more than being able to replace an impeller on an outboard motor. I have a Clymer and a Seloc manual, but would prefer to have a professional or at least an experienced eye look at my carbs, timing, and tilt/ trim after "I" install the beast. Is this carb adjustment that difficult? All the shops here say 1980 is the cutoff. Is there that much difference between a 1979 and a 1980 90 hp I6 merc?<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any responses.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Whats the problem?

would be hard to tell 79 vs. 80 without running<br />the serial number. must be nice to turn down good<br />biz? tell them it's an 80 maybe? ;)

2cycle

Petty Officer 1st Class

They might be prejudiced against it if it has distributor ignition (I think around '80 was when Merc went to ADI ignition on everything?). I ran into the same thing here in SC where shops would not work on my '74 as they feel like they can't turn it around quick enough during normal business volume. You can flll and bleed the trim system with a manual fairly easily as well as the carburetor work (I did it on mine and had not done anything more previously than change an impeller also). You may also be able through the classifieds or message boards and find someone experienced who will work on it on the side. Good luck!

imported_miked

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Howdy Fishin4fun. I live in Colorado Springs, and I know of a mobile repair guy who works on older Merc's. Email me at: dmike25@msn.com and I'll try to put you in toch with him.

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander