what's on a Lake Carmi pike's menu?

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Got a good chuckle filleting a small 24" pike I caught in Lake Carmi yesterday. Had a small pike about 6"? in its belly, along with an alewife, and little 1" fish of what looked like baby perch or walleyes :( That cannibalism of the little pike made me happy - one less!

Maybe I am perverted, but was VERY pleased to kill the fish since it eats forage which my preferred target (walleye) might want to eat. Was really pleased at the little pike AND the alewife (Alewifes don't belong in Carmi anyway, they just showed up during ice fishing.)

The big perch I killed had NOTHING in their stomachs- only the 12" even had insects. Made me happier that I killed the efficient little predator. Plus I have never eaten pike but am told they are really good. We will see.

I caught the pike on an #11 Rapala Original which I had clipped on as a cheater about 10' above my bottom bouncer and harness.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: what's on a Lake Carmi pike's menu?

Pike have Y bones in the middle of the fillet. An extra cut will remove them.

Thanks- I knew that - I will have to get that figured out especially if I like pike :) I will check out the video. I sliced the fillet off the skin and then put a lengthwise cut through, and I *think* that gave me one boneless piece and one with the bones. My fingertips think so anyway

thanks for the tip!

Jeff-in-PA

Chief Petty Officer
Re: what's on a Lake Carmi pike's menu?

Wasn't sure if knew about the Y bones. I would rather hear " I already knew" than " I stabbed myself in the mouth with these darn bones " . :D

We enjoy eating pike, especially pan friend in butter. ( but only keep the ones that are hooked into the gills-- mostly cast & release)