What's my Starcraft worth?

BRBarnhouse

Recruit
I have done many searches and found no thread to this effect so I figured we needed one to help us newbies when hunting for new projects. This is a pic of my new and first Starcraft bought this past summer from a family friend after a carb rebuild it runs and floats good thinking about repaint and carpet but want an idea of value before anymore money is invested

Attachments

• droid 4-20-11 089.jpg
    droid 4-20-11 089.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 0
  • droid 4-20-11 086.jpg
    droid 4-20-11 086.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0
  • droid 4-20-11 094.jpg
    droid 4-20-11 094.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0

Starman8

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What's my Starcraft worth?

Are you asking about cost recovery after you complete the restoration or are you asking if you got a good deal to start with?

BRBarnhouse

Recruit

either and or but I'm looking for opinions on what this boat would bring now and with new paint and carpet

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

For reference I paid 1700 for my 73 18' SS. I will have a little over 4k in it by the time I am
finished. I havnt had to do the transom or floors either. On the boat that is complete repaint,
Bimini top, two marine batteries, stereo, two 6 gallon tanks, rewire, tach and volt meter and
misc. engine parts. The trailer has new bunks, wheel bearing
seals, winch strap and transom straps and steel fenders. It still needs paint and spring bushings. I also have to recover a few interior

Also value depends on region.

I am confident I could get 3-3500 for it when all is said and done in water ready
condition. All work has been done by me...sweat equity is the only kind you gain with a boat.

BRBarnhouse

Recruit

OK well I have just over $2500 in mine with full guages, aluminum gas tank, good trailer with new bearings and seals, 3 marine batteries including 1 Optima for the starter battery, battery boxes, good bimini top, ship to shore radio and antenna, and an older fishfinder. So I should come out not totally backwards in it if I recarpet and paint it.........I think but as with all projects worth doing hundreds turn into thousands real quick

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

This question is basically unanswerable.
Can you sell it for more than you have in it? maybe
The universe usually doesnt always line up the way we need it to be exactly when we need it to be.
If you were on the West Coast of the US, I'd say sure you can..

How many of these do you see on CL and other ads in your area? If there are some, how long have they been there? Is there a monthly price reduction every month on the same boat for sale?

Just too many variables..There are DEALS out there with people needing money to feed and shelter their family.

For somebody to plop down top dollar (whatever that is) it had better be very clean or the exact boat that Ol Grandpa had when I was a kid and I want to relive that with my kids...yada yada..

To, me, that's a $1,500 boat...To somebody else it's worth double that, just because

starcraftkid

Petty Officer 1st Class

............................................................. Closed bows have a somewhat limited appeal.

I see the opposite around here, you can't give away a bow rider for saltwater use. The likelyhood of being swamped in rough seas is too great with an open bow design.
There's a lot to be said for dry storage area as well.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I see the opposite around here, you can't give away a bow rider for saltwater use. The likelyhood of being swamped in rough seas is too great with an open bow design.
There's a lot to be said for dry storage area as well.

Should have specified small closed bows. No one was going to take my 16' where a closed bow would be a safety item