What's is the best bay boat?

Seveice

Recruit
Hi, I am searching for a nice used bay boat to fish the south Louisiana coast. It will need to be shallow less than 2 feet drag, yet sturdy enough to handle the gulf for some occassional offshore rig fishing. It will also be used as a family boat (wife and 2 kids) when not fishing for perhaps a little skiing. Also I will be trailoring it to and from different locations. What is the best recommendation for a good value? How/who do I get the boat and engine checked out by? <br /><br />Any feedback will be appreciated<br /><br />Thanks-Steve :)

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What's is the best bay boat?

Go to the bay(local marina) and see what others are using. Talk to boat owners and ask about their boats...most love to talk about their "ride".

KCook

Lieutenant Commander

Smaller boats are better for the shallows, bigger is better for offshore. So deciding on the exact size may be tricky. Good suggestion to try to talk with local owners. Here is another thread on the different types of fishing boats -<br /><br /> New Boat: Center Console , Walkaround, or Dual Console <br /><br />Kelly Cook

studlymandingo

Commander

I am in Saint Petersburg, FL. I have an 18' Center Console with a 150HP outboard. I do a little flats fishing, wakeboarding, scuba diving, and I go quite a ways offshore for some deep-water fishing as well as some lobstering in the Keys! I love my boat. Your wife might prefer a runabout, but if you are going to fish, I really recommend a Center Console, they are designed to be accessible for following the fish in whatever direction it decides to go.