Whats a Chinese National?

eeboater

Commander
The latest threat in Boston is due to Chinese nationals and some Iraqi's crossing the border in Mexico. <br /><br />What is a Chinese national? That mean they are chinese people with US residency? Or are they residents of China? If that is the case, why aren't they called Iraqi Nationals?<br /><br />Sean

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Whats a Chinese National?

A Hebrew National is a hot dog, maybe a Chinese National is an egg roll :confused:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> A Hebrew National is a hot dog, maybe a Chinese National is an egg roll :confused:
with or without glass? ;) <br /><br />No, I think it means they don't believe in designated hitters.<br /><br />Wait a sec ... Massachusetts has a Mexican border? Did you mean Austin?<br /><br />Seriously I think a "national" is a citizen residing abroad.

KaGee

Admiral

Maybe they're the RED one's ?? :confused: <br /><br />
26_9_8.gif

marcmccain

Petty Officer 1st Class

To say a noun + national means that the person claims that as their nationality. The nationality one claims is the country from which their passport is issued and gives them citizenship. Hence, one could have been Chinese citizen and a Chinese national by birth but later in life they could move the USA and subsequently apply for and gain American citizenship and then take on an American Nationality; however if they move from China and live in the USA without changing thier nationality they remain Chinese nationals residing in the US. Now, although what I've said is factual I'll give a dollar to anyone who can diagram the previous sentence ;)