Whatever happened to...

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
A friend , back in the late '70's had a Jeep with a 304 V8 in it. We rebuilt it and warmed it up a bit and it was a killer ride. Why and when did they stop making the V8 jeeps. That thing was so *****in.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Whatever happened to...

Hmm... that thing was so b*tchin.

eeboater

Commander

There has been rumblings of Daimler Chrysler putting a Hemi into one of the high-end Wranglers. It would be quite interesting to see the resulting vehicle. The torque and HP pushing that Jeep off road would get it to crawl an 85 degree grade. <br /><br />I have a '79 Jeep CJ7 sitting in my garage with that exact motor, 304 V8 in it. <br /><br />I will say one thing though, there is a very pleasing feeling when I pull up next to a ricer at a stop light with no doors or roof with a rumbling 304. The thought that I can pull that ricer SIDEWAYS down the street is satifying enough to quell their cockyness.<br /><br />My dad always said. If anyone ever challenges you and your Jeep to a race. Tell them yes, on one condition. I get to pick the track.<br /><br />Sean<br /><br /><br />
1402926-IMG_2932.jpg

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

I lost a post somewhere. Anyway.. I envy you. I would love to find one of those in good shape. AMC engines were cool in that the block was the same all the way up to the 401. Can you spell interchangability... way cool. (I think I spelled it right...lol)

D

DJ

Not sure when they stopped putting the 304 in. I remember them though.<br /><br />I'm not so sure DCX would put a V-8 in again. NHTSA would eat their lunch on product liability issues.

Bondo

Staff member

The thought that I can pull that ricer SIDEWAYS down the street is satifying enough to quell their cockyness.
And,.. Still get 0 to 60, In Nothing Flat......... ;) <br /><br />The early 70s vintage 304/CJ5s were Awesome........

achris

More fish than mountain goat

The thought that I can pull that ricer SIDEWAYS down the street is satifying enough to quell their cockyness.
It's the look on their faces, the total disbelief. I love that! I do the same with my 6.5l Landcruiser.