What years is my Motor? Convert to Elec Trim & Tilt?

Str8OutTha9c

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,

I have a 40hp Mariner by Yamaha. I know it's by Yamaha because the controls and harness are Yamaha, and under the cowling, it looks just like my friends Yamaha. I want to convert it to electric trim and tilt because I plan on using it on a boat that I will do a lot of poling and flats fishing. It will be a real pain to have to manually lift it up and drop it down when I pull up to a flat.

I'm not sure of the year. The guy who sold me the boat said it was either a 93, or 95. The code on the plate is 40 ELO 6E9 L and the serial starts with 426

I am almost finished completing a full restoration on the boat. So I'm getting to close to hanging the motor back on. I had my mechanic check it out and have it running perfectly. But I would like to see if I can convert it to electric trim and tilt before hanging the motor.

Thanks,

Eric

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: What years is my Motor? Convert to Elec Trim & Tilt?

I'm not 100% certain but pretty sure that Yamaha stopped making the Mariners in the late 80's. I had a 1992 Mariner Magnum 40 and it was made by Merc.

If you get the full S/N then the actual year can be determined.

As for the PTT, yes it can be retrofitted to your motor. Will need to know for certain the model year of the motor then search for the appropriate PTT system. Ebay, craigslist etc are good places to find used units at reasonable prices. New units will run you $500-$600 I would guess.

Str8OutTha9c

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not 100% certain but pretty sure that Yamaha stopped making the Mariners in the late 80's. I had a 1992 Mariner Magnum 40 and it was made by Merc.

If you get the full S/N then the actual year can be determined.

As for the PTT, yes it can be retrofitted to your motor. Will need to know for certain the model year of the motor then search for the appropriate PTT system. Ebay, craigslist etc are good places to find used units at reasonable prices. New units will run you $500-$600 I would guess.

ok I just got the exact serial number. it is: 426098

I found one PTT bracket on ebay off a '96 40 Mariner. I don't know if it'll work though.

AMD Rules

Lieutenant Commander

That's a 1986 Mariner.

I'm not sure about the trim interchangeability. Seems there was two models that year. May depend on which model you have. Does it have a model number on the tag?