what year please

Jenan

Cadet
Sorry to ask this but I have looked at all the links given to do this myself and just can't figure it out. The motor is a blue band Mercury 4HP made in Australia with the serial number 8065329. Thanks for your help.

wes0354

Recruit
Re: what year please

I have a Sierra catalog. If I am looking right, your motor is a 1980-81 model.

Jenan

Cadet

Thanks for your advice - maybe someone else might be able to confirm. It is very hard to find information online on the motors manufactured in Australia.

Dunaruna

Admiral

No, not very hard, DAMN NEAR IMPOSSIBLE! I know, I've been gtrying to compile an Australian reference guide for 5 years with very little result.

Your serial number sequence is somewhere in the late 70's early 80's but the only way to nail down an exact year is to give Marine Power International (mercury) a call, they are in the suburb of Dandenong, in the state of Victoria, Australia. (03) 9791 5822.

Jenan

Cadet

Yes, you're right - absolutely impossible! LOL. I rang Melbourne and the girl said the serial number didn't have the right number of digits in it, but it was my lucky day ...........it had actually been registered when it was first sold and she pulled up that it was first sold in 1980, so possibly 1979 or 1980 model.How about that! Now the next (probably impossible) job is to track down needle, seat and gasket for carb. No model number on it that I can see, and apparently this is what they go on, rather than the serial number.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Pull the carby down and walk into a merc dealer with the needle and seat in hand (and the gaskets/'o' rings). They should be able to visually identify the carb kit. Where are you?

Jenan

Cadet

Will try that, but made a few phone calls yesterday and was told the parts I want are no longer available for this motor. The outboard wrecker at Yatala may be able to help with a complete carb if I can get down to show him mine - I am close to Sunshine Coast, Qld. An ongoing process.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Is it a single or twin cylinder? If it is a single, try carb kit part number 9262 1. It is readily available from the U.S of A. It will be a gamble but well worth it IMO.

I cannot find a carb kit repair kit for a twin 4hp.

Jenan

Cadet

Unfortunately it's a twin cylinder! I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for all your help.

Jenan

Cadet

Just to let you know - I posted the old carb to the outboard wreckers at Yatala (after a phone call)_ and they sent back, the next day, an appropriate complete carb which works perfectly. Lots of kudos to them! Problem fixed for around $50 inc. postage.