What year merc. and future repairs??

I have a Mercury 500 Serial number 4360047, and I can't find anything accept Grubbs Oldmercs.com which only goes to 1973. Anyhelp would be appreciated I am leaking out of the plug hole and that is just the start. Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance for all responses??

Re: What year merc. and future repairs??

Thank you very much now I can at least start to think about fixing the motor that the repair guy I took it to said to trash. It is leaking out of the sparkplug hole and has been run in mainly salt. So any suggestions now. Thank you Alaska

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi James,<br /> It's not looking good. The leak around the plug hole is likely indicative of more internal corrosion. In order to remove the rear water jacket cover, you're likely going to end up breaking a bunch of bolts, and likely damaging the cover or even the block. Also, you'll have to remove the powerhead from the exhaust housing in order to remove the bottom-most bolts. Lots of room for corrosion headaches. Mercs of that era don't do well in salt over long periods.<br /><br />Your repair guy might be right - BUT, you won't know until you get into it. You might get lucky with it...<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />- Scott

Well after a few broken bolts I took one plate off and yep just as he said Corroded like cancer. Now what? Get a new one I guess and quit messing with the vintage variety?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Hi James,<br /> The Merc 500s are good motors and if you like how yours runs (outside of the water issues) you can keep an eye out for another one, preferably a freshwater motor, and use yours as a parts motor. The fact that it runs means several things - the internals are basically healthy, and the electronics are basically healthy. They do have some value to them, so don't just toss it in the trash.<br /> Good luck!<br />- Scott

Clams Canino

Commander

Too bad you didn't search the achives for the solutions that were posted here again and again to stop that leak (on a semi-longterm basis) without pulling the cover. Easy way to squeak a season or two more out for sure.<br /><br />-W<br /><br />
Originally posted by jndsilverbullet:<br /> Well after a few broken bolts I took one plate off and yep just as he said Corroded like cancer. Now what? Get a new one I guess and quit messing with the vintage variety?