What year is this boat?

Dewey

Seaman
Larson Glasspar "avlon" Model #81583. I think it is from the 60's but I am not sure. any help is greatly appreciated.

blifsey

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: What year is this boat?

Took a look at that link just to see what a '58 to '63 boat looked like. I noticed several photos had help on left side. Was that common then? When did a right-side helm become "standard"? Do any current mfr put helm on left (besides the bigger CC)?<br /><br />Interesting!<br /><br />BL...

dymo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The Newport 26 "Mighty Dog"<br />"The port side HELM CONSOLE is unique in the industry. On the same side as the driver's position in an automobile, the helm's position makes learning the feel of the Newport 26 an easy and enjoyable task. Because most vessels in restricted waters pass port-to-port, you are in a superior position to see the other vessel without having to look across the width of your cockpit."<br /><br />I'm not sure when it may have changed but can only guess it was for safety. Knowing that boats pass each other port-to-port, today's design keeps the helms person as far as possible from the point of possible impact when passing.<br /><br />Just a guess, I really don't know.<br /><br />Dymo

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

Putting the steering wheel to startboard comes from the propeller. A prop turning clocwise (which has become standard) will produce a counterclockwise torque. This put a lift on the starboard side and putting the steering wheel and -person here compensates for it.<br /><br />Twin installs normally have one prop running each way so it doesn't matter on those.