What year is my new old Starcraft boat?

dragginanchor

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
First post here, and wondering about what I just bought.
Got a good deal- boat, motor and trailer for $300, anyone tell me what I got and what to do with it please.

The boat- from what I could read on the tag on the transom--
Starcraft Goshen, IN
14' Fury Model
65 W.808 Serial

4 <next to this explaining 30HP, 4 persons and 850 LBS. total weight..

Motor--
Johnson Sea horse 25
Model RDE 17
Serial 1262745

Trailer--
Unknown brand. White with some graphics on the side. bad wiring, bad tires.
Is a tilt trailer- tongue has a pivot point.

The boat-- has delaminating and cracked fiberglass on the transom, poorly rigged wiring, and some badly repaired spots on the hull. The top is baby blue faded and the hull is white.
The transom seems to be solid yet, but thats the first thing I will fix/ replace.
I would take it out as is just for fun once I got the engine running.
Pics to come of the baby blue..

Engine-
Seems to have alot of compression. Very hard to pull the rope with plugs in, took plugs out, fogged cylinders with seafoam deep creep, turns easily with no plugs, put plugs back in, same as before. (spark plugs looked new)
Alot of bad fuel line hoses, all need to be replaced.
This was an electric start model, but the starter is missing, with just a rubber bushing in the hole where it would be, and the linkage to the (automatic choke??) was disconnected. Also the faceplate is missing..

Anyway, What year is this boat, Is that old seahorse worth fixing,and what do you think..I figured Id replace what I could on the engine, have the local marine place get the engine running while I tackle the Transom/fiberglass problem..

Chad_E
dragginanchor

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What year is my new old Starcraft boat?

65 W.808 Serial

I'd say a 1965.. post a picture ..

Huron Angler

Admiral

Those '55 Johnsons are some great outboards.

Condensers, points, plugs and carbs to maintain. Plenty of good info here on iboats if you have any questions.:)

dragginanchor

Seaman Apprentice

Hi All-

Have made some progress getting the old barge usable.
replaced fuel lines, and much more.

The motor fired up fairly easlily, but raced out of control, so connected the mystery wire to the vacuum switch-see pics. Thought I read something about that on this forum.

Anyway, the boat is registered as a 1957 fury, is this what it really is? See link to pics---

http://picasaweb.google.com/113783896709077845656/BoatPics#

How hard will it be to replace the transom?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Welcome to the forum. That will be a neat boat when fixed up. I'd start a new thread in the restoration section about your transom issues. It's totally fixable but will be more work than many that I've seen due to the failure of the outer skin. The glass gurus mostly hang out in the resto section.