What Year is my Johnson ?

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice
I recently purchased what I was told to be a 1969 Johnson Seahorse 33hp. My only question is the year of the motor. I want to be sure before I start ordering parts that I'm buying the correct parts for this motor. The Model number is a little hard to read but the best I can tell it is RXEL 14D the seriel number is J2626122 . Any insight would be a big help. On a side note : Any idea how this motor would compare in performance to a modern 2 stroke of say 30hp. And does anybody know what the original prop size was for this engine ? Thanks everyone. I'll try to upload a photo of the motor. I had to throw in a photo of the boat too . It's a 1964 MFG Niagra Custom.

Attachments

• 1967 Johnson Super SeaHorse 33hp.jpg
    1967 Johnson Super SeaHorse 33hp.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 1964 MFG Niagra interior.jpg
    1964 MFG Niagra interior.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 1

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What Year is my Johnson ?

RXEL-14 is a 1966, electric start, long shaft, Zeb.

zebstarnes

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What Year is my Johnson ?

Thank you very much JB. I knew that with all the ole Salts around here someone would lead me in the right direction. After posting my Thread I did some looking and found some model Numbers With the RXEL-14 combination but none with the letter "D" at the end. Any idea what this letter signifies or stands for ? And for the record I was asking about the performance. Well i just took it out this morning and it flies !! It is mounted on a 14 1/2 foot boat and with only one passenger it has more than enough torque and power. Thanks guys.