What year is my Alumacraft?

FlyingD58

Recruit
Hello, I am new to iboats. I am restoring a 195_ Alumacraft Flying D. I don't what year the boat is and would like to find out is there were any differences in the boat's design over the years. The boat does not have a serial number on the boat.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: What year is my Alumacraft?

From HERE it looks like the Flying D was a 1958-9 model:

Alumacraftbb002.jpg

How do you know it's a Flying D?

I don't know much about Alumacraft boats, what is & where did you get the 195_ designation?

Welcome to iboats, looks like it'd be a nice little 14' tinny:
Alumacraftb58008.jpg

And that guy ^^^ is all smiles about his new boat :cool:

Best of luck w/ your project.

EDIT:
It does look like there was also a Utility version (designated FD) also produced in 1960, possibly other years. So if it's a semi-v w/ bench seats & is setup for a tiller handle, it might be an FD utility model instead of the runabout style I posted.

We LOVE boat pix, even debris filled derelict boats. So please let us see what your working w/.... Check pix posting info here:

PHOTO Posting Instructions

Alumacraft owner's forum has a few Flying D's, might look thru there too...

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member

Is it just me, or does the kid with the beach ball look like Ronald McDonald before he found his true calling as the hamburger clown?
Ah, yeah, umm, I'm not sure but I think that kid is likely the proud boat owner's WIFE...:facepalm:...:flock:

saumon

Lieutenant

Ah, yeah, umm, I'm not sure but I think that kid is likely the proud boat owner's WIFE...:facepalm:...:flock:

Is the boat in the ad floating in the air? :lol:

Now that you mention it, that thing looks suspiciously like Luke Skywalker's landspeeder

southkogs

Staff member

Now that you mention it, that thing looks suspiciously like Luke Skywalker's landspeeder
.... awesome.

The cut and paste job on that ad is almost disturbing. The guys feet showing under the boat are really awkward.

... and that is a qualified professional opinion :fear:

FlyingD58

Recruit

From HERE it looks like the Flying D was a 1958-9 model:

Alumacraftbb002.jpg

How do you know it's a Flying D?

I don't know much about Alumacraft boats, what is & where did you get the 195_ designation?

Welcome to iboats, looks like it'd be a nice little 14' tinny:
Alumacraftb58008.jpg

And that guy ^^^ is all smiles about his new boat :cool:

Best of luck w/ your project.

EDIT:
It does look like there was also a Utility version (designated FD) also produced in 1960, possibly other years. So if it's a semi-v w/ bench seats & is setup for a tiller handle, it might be an FD utility model instead of the runabout style I posted.

We LOVE boat pix, even debris filled derelict boats. So please let us see what your working w/.... Check pix posting info here:

PHOTO Posting Instructions

Alumacraft owner's forum has a few Flying D's, might look thru there too...

Thank you, the 195_ was the year. I know that it is a 1950 something but I don't know if it is a '58 or '59. There is a placard on the port side of the transom that marks the boat as a Flying D.

photo 2.jpg

photo 1.JPG

jbcurt00

Staff member

Based on the 1958-9 sales brochure being the EXACT same pix, I doubt w/out serial number registration confirmation, that you'll ever know which year it is. If Alumacraft didn't even change the stock 1958 photo for the 1959 brochure, I don't think there will be anything that specifies any differences between the 2 model years.

Pretty much only leaves serial #'s. Without a list of which #'s were built in which year, it gets tough.

Does your serial # start w/ 8- or 9- ?

Or end in -8 -9 / -58 -59?

Based on this FDR's info, your serial # should be in a similar location. And if yours follows the same style/format, you might guess where how close (or far) your serial # is from 100. The poster of this pix:
3739.jpg

Noted that Alumacraft started all their serial # model runs w/ #100. So if yours is Serial # FD 122, it is likely a 1958, as it was the 22nd FD produced in that run.

Looks like ALumacraft keeps pretty good records. Find that stamped serial # (hopefully on the knee brace) and get in touch w/ Alumacraft & ask them what year it is:
I received an email back from Alumacraft regarding my Hull ID number and they quickly responded and included an image from the brochure. Turns out it's a 1957 FD 14'. My tag says its rated for a 30 hp but the ad says it could handle a 35 hp. Not sure what the differences would be.

So as of March 2012, they could decode 1957 serial numbers.

Good luck & looks like it could turn out to be a real head turner when you get her all cleaned up & water ready...

JoLin

Vice Admiral

.... awesome.

The cut and paste job on that ad is almost disturbing. The guys feet showing under the boat are really awkward.

... and that is a qualified professional opinion :fear:

Struck me, too- almost like the guy's legs are abnormally long, and extend at an odd angle besides. Ya just know that it was all assembled from pieces cut from a bunch of disconnected photographs. Computers have definitely spoiled us.

southkogs

Staff member

Struck me, too- almost like the guy's legs are abnormally long, and extend at an odd angle besides. Ya just know that it was all assembled from pieces cut from a bunch of disconnected photographs. Computers have definitely spoiled us.
They've made it easier, that's for sure - I got started way back in the "cut and paste" days, and my uncle worked back in the "you're just gonna' have to draw that" days. You'd be surprised at the skill and accuracy some of that work really was done at.

FlyingD58

Recruit

It looks like it says FDS 260 on the knee brace. I had never noticed it stamped there before!

jbcurt00

Staff member

It looks like it says FDS 260 on the knee brace. I had never noticed it stamped there before!
Well there you go, the 160th FDS produced. Now to find production #'s for 1958 & 9. Lookup Alumacraft customer service & send them an email, they may have record of who originally purchased your 'new' FDS, where they bought it & what year it is.

Some manufacturers used the sale or shipment date as the model year, so an FDS 260 might have been built in 1958, but wasn't sold until 1959 & was then registered & titled as a 1959.