What Year is My 40HP Outboard?

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice
hello all.
just bought a used xpress jon boat with a 40HP outboard. Need to know how to get the year?
And would like to get a manual on the wiring. It has a tiller handle. Specifics below:

40HP, Precision Blend (does that mean it because i don't have to mix oil in my gas?)

Model 40ELRQ (what's the RQ?)
Code 6H4 L
S/N 42311

Thx

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What Year is My 40HP Outboard?

'R' is remote control...'Q' is 1992
Shouldn't have a tiller handle from model #
'E' is electric start with manual trim(not power)
'L' is 20" shaft length....puzzled by the 'R', must have had tiller added later, was made as remote steering....

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class

And IF the precision blend is still hooked up AND working then you don't have to mix the gas and oil...should have a plastic oil tank on motor...should be a line from bottom of tank to oil pump...you can disconnect line and spin engine over(with safety lanyard pulled off so won't start). You should see oil flow from line. If not, then it ain't workin. But it should...VERY good oil system

bassmani

Seaman Apprentice

thanks yamamarinetech40,

what is a good source to get a manual? Also, the guy i bought the boat from says that when the motor runs, it charges the batteries (main crank battery and trolling motor), but i thought that was odd. To me, you would have to have an alternator to do that, but i am no mechanic.. Yes, they must have added the tiller as the R is on the model number..I am really looking for a wiring guide as none of the cables are labeled..