What year began the Prop shaft hp rating?

ghostrider

Seaman
I am curious to know the year that outboard Horsepower ratings were no longer rated at the powerhead, and began being rated at the prop shaft? I thought it was 1987, but I'm not sure. Can someone clear the fog for me? Thanx! <br /><br /> :confused: Ghostrider

NathanY

Commander
Re: What year began the Prop shaft hp rating?

I believe it was 1985, but not sure.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy Ghostrider.<br /><br />It did not happen all at once.<br /><br />Different builders changed ratings on some models as early as 1980 (Suzuki), and by 1985 I think all (possible exception: Force) were changed over by 1985.

ghostrider

Seaman

Thanx Nathan and JB. I recently found out that a motor I bought is acually an '86 not the '88 it was advertised to be. I've lost 2 years and I did'nt want to lose horsepower also.<br /><br />Ghostrider :cool:

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

JB is correct as for the 2 years some manufactures dont change thier models too often hence the difference between the 2 is years and also, it might have been the year it was registered

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

I can vividly recall that back in 1962 when OMC and Mercury were strong rivals, that many dealers had a OMC had a movie which did stress the fact that their (OMC) horsepower was measured at the propeller.

D

DJ

Everyone was pretty much on board with prop. hp ratings by 1983.

ghostrider

Seaman

Thanx guys! No horsepower lost on Yamaha Pro V 150J. I am now going to deal with the dealer as there is about $550.00 difference in the value from '86 to '88 according to my insurance rep. <br /><br />Ghostrider ;)