What Year Are Johnson Controls Compatible

scdeerslayer

Cadet
Hi, My 1989 Johnson 225 stripped the crank shaft splines so I'm thinking about getting a 2001 Johnson 225. Will my controls from the 89 work on the 2001. My controls on the boat are like new so I really don't want to buy another set if I can help it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What Year Are Johnson Controls Compatible

You will need an adapter cable to mate your "big red plug" control cable to your newer than 1997 engine, many people have this setup, it all just plugs together. New from BRP they are quite pricey, look on craigslist or ebay, or maybe a dealer in your area can hook you up with a used one. The factory also made cables to match older engines to newer controls. 1997 was the model year for the change.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

You will need an adapter cable to mate your "big red plug" control cable to your newer than 1997 engine, many people have this setup, it all just plugs together. New from BRP they are quite pricey, look on craigslist or ebay, or maybe a dealer in your area can hook you up with a used one. The factory also made cables to match older engines to newer controls. 1997 was the model year for the change.
actually 1996 was the year they changed... the terminology is PRE 95 and POST 96.

the OP will need a Pre 95 motor to post 96 controls adapter. I have that adpater on my boat right now......my problem is it is 20 feet long!!!

i think in reality you should only need and adpater that is about 5-6 feet long, just enough to make the connection INSIDE the boat somewhere, instead of out in the air near the motor.....

bob

kjdunne

Petty Officer 1st Class

I stand corrected on the year they changed. The OP will need a pre 95 control to post 96 motor adapter cable, big red plug on the control side. I have one that fits neatly inside the engine cowling on my 1997 90hp using a 1985 control. I think it must be an OEM adapter as it fits like it belongs there.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I stand corrected on the year they changed. The OP will need a pre 95 control to post 96 motor adapter cable, big red plug on the control side. I have one that fits neatly inside the engine cowling on my 1997 90hp using a 1985 control. I think it must be an OEM adapter as it fits like it belongs there.
and you are right too...I kept 1989 225 in my head when i typed...forgot about the 2001 motor

bob

reiddo1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, My 1989 Johnson 225 stripped the crank shaft splines so I'm thinking about getting a 2001 Johnson 225. Will my controls from the 89 work on the 2001. My controls on the boat are like new so I really don't want to buy another set if I can help it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I am using control cables from a 1979 Evinrude 200 hp on a 2000 Johnson 150 hp Oceanpro with no problems whatsoever. I did however use the wiring harness from the 150 hp Johnson since it uses a gauge filled with check lights.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I am using control cables from a 1979 Evinrude 200 hp on a 2000 Johnson 150 hp Oceanpro with no problems whatsoever. I did however use the wiring harness from the 150 hp Johnson since it uses a gauge filled with check lights.

control CABLES have nothing to do with the wiring harnesses.... they have been using that system check guage for a while, i am sure both before and after the 95-96 change time line.

i dont think they changed the terminal ends of the cables for a long long time

bob

scdeerslayer

Cadet

Thanks a lot guys exactly what I needed to know with the wiring harness and all. When I put controls in there I had forgot all about the wiring harness too. Thanks again.