what year and lift point for removal 175 johnson

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1979 175 johnson i think. There is no serial number that I have found the cowl says 175 johnson but the medallion on the powerhead says its a 150949c I know the powerheads are the same between a 150 and 175 the only difference i have found online is the carbs. 1979 is the first yr of the 175 I think. I have not taken the carbs off to get the part number as that should tell me one way or the other, evinrudes part list shows them as different parts. anyway I dont find any lift points to remove the motor the bolt in the flywheel is not threaded like most are to recieve an eye. any suggestions?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: what year and lift point for removal 175 johnson

That engine is made to be lifted by a special 3-point factory lifter bolted to the 3 tapped holes in the flywheel. You can also use any regular automotive type 3-point wheel puller, just make sure the bolts are threaded in completely and the center screw is tight. The 175 first came out in 1977 and is a 150 block with larger throated carbs.

KnightWolf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: what year and lift point for removal 175 johnson

Glas to hear that about the 3 point system those were the holes I was going to ask about next.I will have to see about the part numbers on the carbs. Thanks for the response.