What year, 65h elec. + where to find part

Geodopolis

Cadet
I love this site and have learned a lot so far just browsing. My motor is a johnson 65 horse electric, the welch plug is stamped "J2879707", says Superquiet underneath the exhaust port. Any Ideas what year and where I can find a choke solenoid or if I can go without. My first ever boat:confused:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: What year, 65h elec. + where to find part

Being a 65hp, it could be a V4, 2 cylinder, etc. We would need a description of the engine with pictures to get close to exactly what it is.

There should be a plate on the left (port) transom bracket with the model number which is what we need to ID the engine. Without knowing what you have, we have no idea what choke solenoid you might need.

Geodopolis

Cadet

You're right, it's a V4 2 barrel, and I can't find anything on the transom bracket, I don't have any pics(no digital camera) but it's kinda pumpkin shaped. Wider and lower than most outboards I've seen as far as the shape of the cover. The old solenoid has a rubber boot around the plunger, the first of those that I've seen, but I haven't seen many. It's got one brass tab with a red wire screwed to it, also 12V, but that may be standard. Thanks for the reply.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

The only V4 65hp engine that Johnson manufactured, if memory serves me correctly was Model #VXH-14 (1968). The original choke solenoid number was 376806 and superseded up to 385554.

You can operate the choke manually if you like, but the choke solenoid does make things easier.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If it is a 65hp and says "Superquiet," its a 1968 V4 engine. The number that you provided is a serial number, but the model number should be one of the following. You may find a data plate on the steering/transom bracket with one of these model numbers on it.

VX-14B
VXH-14B
VXHL-14B
VXL-14B

Choke solenoids are available new from OMC/BRP at $140.00. The part number is 376806.
Sea-Way Marine has them at $120.00. The part number that they have is a different part number, but it cross references to your motor, which isn't suprising since such parts were used on a number of motors. The telephone number for Sea-Way is 206-937-7373.