What would you use???

wmteich

Seaman Apprentice
I own a 23 foot Chapparrel Bowrider and have always just left it in a slip and hi/dry for winterization. I never have towed it, but would like to be able to use it in dirrerent lakes in the future. It has a dry weight of 4500lbs. Any thoughts on a vehicle that would tow it comfortably(truck or SUV-no real preference here)? What do you guys use that works weel with this size boat? <br />PS: I already have a trailer, came with the boat and is in good condition.

tommays

Admiral
Re: What would you use???

you need to find out the real weight of the boat and trailer with all the STUFF like gas in it<br /><br />the only way to do this is takeing it to a scale its going to easly be over 6000# <br /><br />once you no the real weight you can start to look for trucks with the correct towing abilty<br /><br />gas or diesel is a big item and how much you will use the tow vehicle will decide if the diesels extra cost can be recovered in fuel saveings<br /><br />tommays

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

http://www.rvsafety.com/towrate2k.htm this link will give you tow ratings and an idea of where to start.<br /><br />More than likely a good tandom trailer will weigh close to a 1000 also.

Realgun

Commander

No matter what people say use common sense.<br />If the total boat/trailer/gear weigh 5200 Lbs then ANY vehicle thats has the proper equipment with a 5200lb or larger capcity will work.<br /><br />Lets say you want a trailblazer from Chevy. Tow rating is 5500 lbs then your answer is yet it will tow said load end of story.<br /><br />There are a lot of people who will tell you you need a big truck or desiel dually. Thats B.S. and it gets real deep real fast.<br /><br />Personally I had three tow vehicles for my boat.<br /><br />1. Ranger 3.0L- Nice tow was withing rating for me.<br />Problem was could not see behind boat with the standard mirrors.<br />2. F-150- Aslos a nice tow can see behind and could hardly see boat. Also could not see trailer when unloded so was hard to backup!<br />3. Chevy Colorado- Nice tow can see behind without extra mirrors and can see trailer.<br /><br />90% will say #2 go F-150 cause it has a 8000Lb tow rating.<br /> The Colorado is the best vehicle as you can see trailer and behind boat and it gets 5 mpg better than the Ranger and 4 better than the F-150.<br />No vehicle has any issue with my 2500Lbs of boat/trailer/gear.<br />And the hills here are long and very steep. Also the Altitude is 5000ft+.<br /><br />For your boat neither the Ranger nor the Colorado can do it as max tow is 4000Lbs. Only the F-150 is capable.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Well, towing with a vehicle rated at, or slightly above, the actual weight of the tow is probably safe for a skilled and experienced heavy rig tow driver, I believe in a safety margin for casual towers.<br /><br />My own practice (since towing a 2000lb rig with a 2000lb rated truck) has been to tow no more than 70% of the rated load. That would mean, for your approximately 5000#, a vehicle rated for 7,000# or more.<br /><br />If that is BS, as was so rudely put, then it is BS that can keep you alive in an emergency.<br /><br />That is what I would use, and I would be certain that the trailer brakes work.

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Realgun...I don't understand.<br /><br />What is it about the different pickups that affects visibility to the rear as you describe?<br /><br />Tailgate height? Driver seating position? Mirror placement?<br /><br />Without actually trying them...I can't visualize what would account fot the difference you describe.<br /><br />Thanks for reading, Chuck

bdirect

Seaman

I would realy take note of what JB says above. Little known or discussed fact is that if you tow over the rated capacity of your truck you have voided your insurance if there is an accident

fondafj

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Step #1 - Load the boat up for the weekend, fill it with gas, and weigh it with the trailer( most truck stops have scales).<br />Don't forget that most boat trailers have surge brakes and only 5-7% tongue weight. On a light tow vehicle in rain slicken roads this is disasterous. No tow rating I ever saw compensated for the light tounge wt and surge brakes for boat trailers. My vote: go with a full size something and keep the towing vehicle weight above the towed weight. If this is not possible, then convert the trailer brakes to electric over hydraulic.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

You'll want a 1/2 ton truck or larger for that boat. Dry weight 4,500 may mean a wet and trailered weight of about 6,000. So I'd want a tow capacity of at least 7,000. That limits you quite a bit to: Any of the 150 or 1500 series pickups (or 250 or 350 would be even better), Expedition, Excursion, Suburban, Tahoe, maybe a new Durango, Tundra, Land Cruiser....there's others but those are what come to my mind real quick. Whatever you get make sure it has a towing package with tranny cooler, etc. If your trailer has electric brakes make sure your truck is adequately equipped to run them.