What would you do?

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The powerhead on my 1979 115hp Evinrude blew a ring so I have been looking at used powerheads. I found a few options from different people.

1979 85hp powerhead for $250...am told it needs nothing and can be bolted on and is good to go, he tested the motor. I can probably talk him down to $200

1979 115hp powerhead for $300. The guy knows the compression is good and it was running when pulled, but he never ran it. Price is firm

1979 140hp complete motor including controls for $500. Guy pulled it off boat he was parting and was told it ran, but never tested it. Compression is good. Price is firm.

Was any particular hp motor of that year better? Would I loose or gain much with the 90 and 140hp? Are the parts on them, like starter and gasket sets and electronics all the same? I have some parts for the 115 (carb kits, T-stat kits). Are those the same for all?

Thanks!

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What would you do?

What state you live in. the carb kits and thermo kits will work

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Must be a southern water bound state for cheap prices like that!

fsds123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good guess...I live in Texas. I had been looking for a while and now all the sudden I have quite a few choices. I'm probably leaning to either the 115 or 140... maybe more the 115 since it is cheaper and I would have a 100% identical parts motor, but the extra hp keeps me from deciding.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Personally, I'd go with the identical engine. Less to learn, 1 fewer manual to buy and lots of spare parts for later :)

jbjennings

Captain

I'm with Samott. Get the identical powerhead. I just got an old powerhead for my OLD motor. It was only 1 yr. different and the timing on the powerhead was different. I was able to make it work but it was a real booger and took me a while to fix it. Matter of fact, I just got it to work today and I've had it for about a week or two. I know nothing about bigger motors like yours, but I'll never buy a different year part again. That being said, there are sure to be some experts here that know every little quirk about each of the powerheads you mentioned. Still, the best bet to me is the identical part.
JMO,
JBJ

dsinger

Chief Petty Officer

Send me a pm with the info on the one you do not take I will take the other one.