What weight motor oil do you use in your tow vehicle?

aldena

Cadet
I just had my oil changed, and asked for 10w-30, instead of the manufacture's recommended 5w-30, since I tow. This is a Toyota Tundra with a 4.7l v8.

Is it helpful to have a heavier oil if you tow? I'm interested in hearing what other do in regard to this. And yes, I know that any oil is better than no oil. ;)

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What weight motor oil do you use in your tow vehicle?

I'm interested in hearing what other do in regard to this.

My temp gauge stays rock steady whether pulling or not, summer or winter, so I use the recommended 5W-30. It doesn't know if the boat is back there as long as temps don't climb because of it. If you're more comfortable with 10W and it's within manufacturer spec, won't hurt so go for it ... ;)

j_martin

Admiral

Going synthetic will extend the safe operating temperature range on both ends. A given weight will both flow better when cold, and hold film strength when hot.

The manufacturers are hard pressed to meet government standards for gas mileage, and lighter oil will get them a small increase. That, IMHO, is the main reason for the specification.

puddle jumper

Captain

I would go with manufactures recommendations as that's what the manufacture tested that engine with. Modern engines need lighter oil to lubricate the tighter tolerances in these engines. Fuel mileage is also part of it.

The new oils have a better viscosity at hot temp than older motor oils did.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

^^^^^^
+1

bigdee

Commander

Ahh...there is a feeling of insecurity with 5w oils but don'tworry,that is what the modern engine was engineered for. Playing around with specs outside of what is recommended by the manufacturer can be a crap shoot. Oil thickness has little to do with protection in a pressurized lube system. It is the physics of hydraulics that isolates metal to metal contact. All of this is factored in by a team of professionals that the average car owner should not second guess. Now, if your vehicle is near the end of it's life with low oil pressure and noisy mechanical sounds and burns oil,then I would say it is OK to experiment with a higher weight.

bassman284

Commander

If you're worried about viscosity when towing, you're playig with the wrong number. The 5W is the viscosity when cold. The 30 is the effective viscosity at 100 deg C. to increase hot viscosity you should go to 5W-40. However I wouldn't change.

I tow with 5W-30 in a 97 Jeep GC 5.2 with 187,000 miles and it seems to do OK.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

I believe the engineers take towing capacity into consideration. I would go with the manufacturers recomendation.

Bigdee and Bassman284 both bring up valid points; as does every other reply.

Last edited:

If you're worried about viscosity when towing, you're playig with the wrong number. The 5W is the viscosity when cold. The 30 is the effective viscosity at 100 deg C. to increase hot viscosity you should go to 5W-40. However I wouldn't change.

I tow with 5W-30 in a 97 Jeep GC 5.2 with 187,000 miles and it seems to do OK.
5w-30 and 5w-40 is the same viscosity at running temp. Motor oil does not get thicker as temp increases. That being said. When you increase viscosity you also increase friction in the bearing surfaces, so you can raise oil temps and engine loading with thicker oil.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

5w-30 and 5w-40 is the same viscosity at running temp. Motor oil does not get thicker as temp increases. That being said. When you increase viscosity you also increase friction in the bearing surfaces, so you can raise oil temps and engine loading with thicker oil.

Unleadedaddict,

That's a beautiful boat. How about a larger pic... Please:D

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks. Go here, more pics, just a few. Can link to facebook page to see more.
http://http://unleadedaddictions.yolasite.com/1966-tollycraft.php

Nice work... And thanks for the link to the pics; but I've just jacked a thread. Sorry aldena:redface:

I hope you've gotten the info you were looking for. When I change the oil in my tow vehicle, every 2nd or 3rd change, I use 4qts. oil and 1qt. Lucas oil conditioner.
I use 10w30. I've got 132,000 miles on the truck and I may start using 10w40 at some point. Sometimes I'll change the oil early if I hear a little "valve clatter" on acceleration. It doesn't happen when I use the Lucas Oil Conditioner; but a mechanic told me that I shouldn't use it with every oil change, as it may "gunk up" the engine. The heavier weight may alleviate it. This info may not necessarrily pertain to your needs, but, a little food for thought probably won't hurt too much:).

Hope I've help out a little.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

5w-30 and 5w-40 is the same viscosity at running temp. Motor oil does not get thicker as temp increases.

This makes absolutely no sense. An oils viscosity is measured at -35 C and again at 100C. The 5W-40 is thicker at 100C than the 5W-30 at 100C

They do not get thicker. The higher viscosity oil has higher resistance to velocity breakdown than the 30w oil

bigdee

Commander

This makes absolutely no sense. An oils viscosity is measured at -35 C and again at 100C. The 5W-40 is thicker at 100C than the 5W-30 at 100C

They do not get thicker. The higher viscosity oil has higher resistance to velocity breakdown than the 30w oil

It is the first number to look at... whether it is 5w30 or 5w40, it is still 5wt oil. The 2nd number is representative of the amount of viscosity additives. TOO MUCH VISCOSITY IMPROVER ADDITIVES CAN STICK RINGS!! It is not a good idea to use oil with a wide range ,5w40 over 5w30 for instance. I have rebuilt low mileage engines with stuck rings because the owners had run a wide viscosity range oil like 5w40. GM will void warranties for stuck rings on some vehicles if you go over a 5w30 range.

You are wrong with your temp reference. They do not test at for vis. -35 c. (Although the minimum pumping temp test is -30c for 5w)Standard vis test is @ 40c then 100c like you said. 5w40 has a greater viscosity index. Which means it has greater stability over a wider range of temps. Yes 40 is thicker than 30 at 100 c. Viscosity @100c for 5w is 3.8 and for 30 is <12.5 40 is <16.3 . I was wrong on the interpretation, had to go back and learn. The 'w' is for winter designation

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I run Mobil 1 0W20 (no, that's not a typo) in my 5.7L Tundra. It pours like water and its recommended by the manufacturer. The truck has been used 95% of the time towing and it doesn't use a drop, smoke, or rattle. I change it every 5K miles and it still looks good.

donnymac

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I run Mobil 1 0W20 (no, that's not a typo) in my 5.7L Tundra. It pours like water and its recommended by the manufacturer. The truck has been used 95% of the time towing and it doesn't use a drop, smoke, or rattle. I change it every 5K miles and it still looks good.
Synthetic is amazing, can't wrap head around "0"

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

Synthetic is amazing, can't wrap head around "0"

The SAE system of designating oil viscosity with numbers '0, 5, 10, 15, 20,30, 40 etc." are for marketing purposes.

The actual viscosity laboritory units for each number are in 'stokes' and 'poise' depending on which measuring system used.

Each marketing designation is assigned a range of qualifying lab viscosity units. The 0w oils do have a measurable viscosity.

Pascal

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is the first number to look at... whether it is 5w30 or 5w40, it is still 5wt oil. The 2nd number is representative of the amount of viscosity additives. TOO MUCH VISCOSITY IMPROVER ADDITIVES CAN STICK RINGS!! It is not a good idea to use oil with a wide range ,5w40 over 5w30 for instance. I have rebuilt low mileage engines with stuck rings because the owners had run a wide viscosity range oil like 5w40. GM will void warranties for stuck rings on some vehicles if you go over a 5w30 range.

The crude base stocks use the viscosity index improvers added to the base oil. The sheared VI improvers contribute to stuck rings and sludge especially when subjected to extended drain intervals.

TRUE synthetic oils do not need the VI improvers and allow for the extended drain intervals. Many oils that are labeled 'synthetic' are only a highly processed crude base stock referred to as a Group III oil. Only Group 4 and 5 oils are true synthetics. Problem is no one is required to identify which group the synthetic comes from.