What waterpump lubricant to use?

kfouryou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
170
Hi guys I'm installing a impeller on my 1988 125 hp force and my neighbour told me to use Vaseline for lube. I thought I read somewhere not to use it ,can someone verify ,Thanks
 

cbercaw

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
114
Re: What waterpump lubricant to use?

Are you talking about lube to ease installation of the impeller or long term lube? Ive put a drop of soap in my water pump just so i could twist the impeller in a little easier.. ive never heard of a 'lube' in the sense of long term lube for the pump..
 

kfouryou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
170
Re: What waterpump lubricant to use?

yes I'm talking about when installing the impeller .I thought I read previously Vaseline wasn't good for the impeller rubber
 

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jun 26, 2011
Messages
14,605
Re: What waterpump lubricant to use?

I can't see Vaseline being bad for any type rubber product. But whatever use or not use it will be gone within seconds after start up...
 

kfouryou

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 28, 2009
Messages
170
Re: What waterpump lubricant to use?

Thanks for the info
 
Top