What used outboard to buy

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking for a used 115 hp. to 135 hp.motor to replace my 115 inline 6, mariner. The older johns & rudes used to be hard on gas, Are the 90s and newer any better? Looking at a 95 , 115 johnson, don`t know anything about them. I would appaicate your help.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: What used outboard to buy

Looking for a used 115 hp. to 135 hp.motor to replace my 115 inline 6, mariner. The older johns & rudes used to be hard on gas, Are the 90s and newer any better? Looking at a 95 , 115 johnson, don`t know anything about them. I would appaicate your help.

The 1995 Johnson is a prop rated (for horsepower) motor. Your older 115 Mariner I-6 may or may not be prop rated depending on the year.

The other factor to keep in mind is the control box. If you change brands (from Mariner/Merc to BRP) you will need to change the wiring and controls.

I am personally a fan of the V-4 and my last 115 was an inline 6 Mariner which also ran fine. ALL 2 stroke outboards are hard on gas consumption so...... depending on what you are trying to accomplish ...... you may not see any significant gas saving or even performance change.

Now if your I-6 is older and you are in the market financially to go with newer then I would do it ;)

Mark42 is in the process of a re-power http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=441523 and he did allot of research. He is going from a Force to a BRP V-4

I hope that helps.

swordfish25

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What used outboard to buy

Thanks. I just need a good reliable boat or engine to go back and forth to the island every day. I don`t run hard, just plane off and then a little more to the cruse range. My inline was a 1984.I don`t under stand all these 60 degrees, and flow thruogh. The 60 deg. is the angle of the cyl. but that doesn`t help me knowing that.