What type of head gasket sealant do I use?

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am installing a new head gasket and it doesn't have a sticky or tacky side. I don't know what type of gasket sealer to use. I bought one similar to a sealer on iboats. Here is the link to what my sealer is like except mine is ultra black instead of ultra blue.

http://www.iboats.com/Permatex_Ultr...212179230--**********.678828577--view_id.4118

Is this the right stuff? Do I apply sealer to both sides of the gasket?

iwombat

Captain
Re: What type of head gasket sealant do I use?

Definitely don't use any RTV sealer. What's it going on?

My guess is that it should probably just go on dry, but if you're going to use anything use something like indian head or gaskacinch(sp?).

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am installing a new cylinder head gasket. I just thought I had to use sealer maybe I don't.

iwombat

Captain

What motor are we talking about here?

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Oh sorry its a 79 evinrude 115hp.

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also I have to put in a new bypass cover gasket and a cylinder head cover gasket. Do I put these in dry?

iwombat

Captain

Never seen a 78+ crossflow head gasket that didn't come treated already. I'd just put that on dry.

The other gaskets should have the non-hardening sealant on it. Either the OMC, or the permatex non-hardening sealant (permatex #3?)

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought it from crowleymarine.com maybe it has a heat activated sealant on it and thats why its not sticky. I found the sealant you were talking about and its permatex #2. Just thought I'd let you know. Thanks for your help.

iwombat

Captain

I think permatex #2 is a hardening sealant - very different beast. Look for permatex aviation sealant (I think that's the #3).

Yep - #3D

Attachments

• 41WVMXQX7ZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    41WVMXQX7ZL._SL500_AA280_.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 0

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is the sealant I bought. Let me know if its the wrong one.

http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/aap/ptx/80015.jpg

I called crowley marine and they said I will have to use a gasket sealant for the cylinder head gasket. They told me I could use any kind of automotive sealant that is non hardening. Do you think the one I mentioned about is a good one?

Thanks,

Matt

iwombat

Captain

I've only ever used the aviation. I'll let someone else chime in about the #2. As long as it's a non-hardening sealant I don't see any harm.

I think I'd be using the indian head shellac or gasgacinch on the head though. Again, I'd wait for at least one other to chime in before rushing off to the store.

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks wombat. What do the rest of yall think?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

As far as I know you don't use any sealant on the head gasket. Are you sure? What does your manual say? If you don't have the manual, I'd call the dealer.

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My manual says under the chapter Cylinder Block and Crankcase Assembly, "The cylinder head gaskets on some models is impregnated with sealant and requires no additional sealer when installed......All gaskets which have not been impregnated with sealant should be lightly coated on both sides with OMC gasket sealing compound."

Can I just use a readily available gasket sealant?

Melvin Hatcher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am with iwombat. But, whatever NON-harding sealant you use make sure you do not choose any that contains COPPER.

Regards,

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I put the heads on with indian head shellac and I will let you know what happens.

matt194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It all worked out good. it runs great in the driveway but haven't tried it out at the lake