What Trim Oil to use on 1993 Volvo Penta 230a SP CD TRIM

dennis lintz

Cadet
Hello, My Mechanic Buddy moved out of state. So I am trying to do this from forums and Youtube. It is too expensive to take to a shop. I Have to replace the trim oil reservoir because mine is cracked. I am trying to find out what oil to use. The manual says to use 1.05 qts. of oil quality "Same as in engine or ATF". The engine oil quality is "Multigrade oil service SG" . The Viscosity is SAE 20w/50. Ok, as you can see i'm not a mechanic, just poor. Can I use Automotive oil instead of marine oil and is it synthetic? Do I use the same engine oil for the Trim oil or use the ATF. Is the ATF Synthetic or regular? Hope you are not as confused as I am.
Thanks

Bondo

Staff member
Do I use the same engine oil for the Trim oil or use the ATF. Is the ATF Synthetic or regular? Hope you are not as confused as I am.
Ayuh,.... What color is the oil in it now,..??
If redish, use Atf,....
If brownish amber, use the same oil ya use in yer motor,....
Just don't mix 'em,...
Syn oil is unnecessary,....

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Yo, B!

Isn't "any oil better than no oil"?

Ha, jokes aside, as mentioned use what oil currently exists in the system. Red = ATF, brown = motor oil. Yes, sae 30 is recommended and I personally believe thus is due to most boaters having a full/partial quart of motor oil on board

Bondo

Staff member
Yo, B!

Isn't "any oil better than no oil"?

Ha, jokes aside, as mentioned use what oil currently exists in the system. Red = ATF, brown = motor oil. Yes, sae 30 is recommended and I personally believe thus is due to most boaters having a full/partial quart of motor oil on board
Ayuh,.... It the case of boat trim pumps,..??..?? Ayuh,.... Correct,....

They are some of the simplest hyd. pumps, which will run just fine on Any(commonly available) oil, from a 5W hyd oil, to 50W motor oil,....
They'd probably run on gear lube, 90W, but probably sluggishly, though I've never tried it,....
Not mixin' it matters more to me,.... ;)

dennis lintz

Cadet
It is a brownish/amber color. I have the original 26 page owners manual and it says SAE 20w/50. I guess I should buy the SAE 30w/50. Any brand preference? If I get things messed in my comments I apologize in advance. I'm a 100% Disabled Veteran due to my PTSD from 3 tours to the Middle-East since 9/11 and it has screwed my memory up pretty bad.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It is a brownish/amber color. I have the original 26 page owners manual and it says SAE 20w/50. I guess I should buy the SAE 30w/50. Any brand preference? If I get things messed in my comments I apologize in advance. I'm a 100% Disabled Veteran due to my PTSD from 3 tours to the Middle-East since 9/11 and it has screwed my memory up pretty bad.
straight SAE 30 is what Volvo has been running in the AQ trim pumps since the 70's. the philosophy was SAE 30 in the motor, drive, power steering and the trim pumps. one oil for everything.

However as discussed above. any motor oil will work, the pump does not care. your SAE 20W50 will work just as well as 15W40 diesel oil

only the DP lowered needed SAE 75-90 GL 5. the SP drives had been SAE 30 since they came out in the 70's

dennis lintz

Cadet
Thank you Scott and Bondo for your help. This is the exact kind of useful info/direction I knew I could get on here. You guys are awesome for helping out. Happy Fathers Day!
Dennis Lintz (US Navy Retired-28 YRS)

Bondo

Staff member
Thank you Scott and Bondo for your help. This is the exact kind of useful info/direction I knew I could get on here. You guys are awesome for helping out. Happy Fathers Day!
Dennis Lintz (US Navy Retired-28 YRS)
Ayuh,..... 'n Thank You, for yer service to our nation,....