What tools/supplies do you keep on board?

Road Head

Seaman Apprentice
Edit: this isnt an engine problem, more like a thread for being prepared in the event of problems while on the water.<br /><br />I am a new boat owner, we bought a 1994 Chaparral I/O this past February, and since its now full-on boating season, we have been going out regularly. I am in the middle of stocking my boat with tools/supplies. What do you keep on your boat (or in your tow vehicle)?<br /><br />Me so far:<br />I bought a generic 150 piece tool kit for $20 from Target. Its not near as nice as my set I have in my garage, but its got a ton of stuff and was cheap, plus its in a nice plastic case. It has 1/2" and 3/8" drives, standard and metric sockets, vise grips, needle nose pliers, wire stripper/cutter, cutting pliers, crescent wrench, spark plug socket, screwdriver with tons of heads, wire brush, and a few other odds and ends.<br /><br />Also have a quart of engine oil and a quart of lower unit oil. I have a paper towels, some bungee straps, zip ties, electrical tape, and extra 2 guage wire, a bucket and two paddles. Oh yeah, and jumper cables.<br /><br />I also just got my dual battery setup wired in and tied down, so Im glad about that.<br /><br />Im just used to my jeep, and always having a few tools and items handy "just in case".

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: What tools/supplies do you keep on board?

A spare water separating fuel filter......<br />& beer! :) :) ....JK

Kevin70

Petty Officer 1st Class

And also some starting fluid....and more beer.

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You didn't mention a voltmeter, spare fan belt, and a flashlight for the boat.<br /><br />I also keep, for the trailer, an X-wrench for lug nuts, a bottle jack, and some boards of wood for putting under the jack in soft dirt.<br /><br />On the boat, for safety, in addition to the PFDs I have a throwable, a whistle, flare, and a small distress flag.

MRS

Commander

Spare prop and the right tools to remove it OYea and a Bigger ice chest. :D :p :D :p

paulrfrancisco

Petty Officer 1st Class

A spare seawater pickup impeller for the belt driven pump if you have that kind of setup.

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

forget all that stuff..<br />just run a line from the keg on the dock to the tap on board and forget about it

aggiedave98

Petty Officer 1st Class

big thing is a cell phone to call 911 and have them send out the parks and wildlife boat (in Texas) or the police boat. I'm actually serious on that... I've called 911 when I got stuck and they patched me in to parks and wildlife.<br /><br />I'm not sure about a spare prop... i don't carry one... you could go to the extreme and take a spare fuel pump, etc.

KaGee

Admiral

Duct Tape! ;)

crawdadric

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A membership with Boat/US and buy the TowBoatUS package. A spare thermostat and fan belts....

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Toilet paper. It wont rinse clean no matter how long you spend in the water.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Tools:<br />wrenches, sockets, screw drivers, locking and needle nose pliers, wire cutters/strippers/crimpers, band wrench for fuel filter, Leatherman Wave, sharp knife, canvas snap tool, digital volt meter, alligator clips, hammer, magnetic pickup tool, service manual and flashlight.<br /><br />Spare parts: <br />fuel filter, impeller, fuses, light bulbs, hose clamps, various gauges and lengths of wire, drive lube, motor oil, canvas snaps, spare garboard plug, various SS hardware, spark plugs, "fan" belt, temporary rubber/steel freeze plug, JB weld, duct tape, 3M 4200, electrical tape, zip ties, and crimp connectors.<br /><br />Sounds like a lot but it all fits in one toolbox that's about 12"x12"x24".<br /><br />I also carry paper towels, an old coffee can to put a clogged fuel filter in, a manual bilge pump, 2 boat hooks, comprehensive first aid kit, Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED book, and Chapman's.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

The more you carry, the less likely you are to break down. Preparation is the BEST insurance.<br /><br />Just don't forget that tools are completely useless if you don't have the spare parts to install along with them. So I agree wholeheartedly with carrying the bulk of the spare parts listed, especially the real basics that will shut you down here and now with no hope of a temp repair...things like prop, drive belt, fuel filter, drain plug.<br /><br />In addition to tools and spare parts as have been listed by all, do not forget a complete first aid kit, an anchor (and rope!), a paddle, and a functional fire extinguisher.