what to say to teens in-house..

crab bait

Captain
if you don't like livin' in this house under MY rules.. your glad to leave an pay for your own rent,electric, heat,phone,cable, food ,car insurance, health insurance on your own .. <br /><br />and do it while you still know EVERYTHING

KaGee

Admiral
Re: what to say to teens in-house..

Ah Huh!<br /><br />"Hire my teenager while he still knows it all"

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Fortunately, my teenager knows just enough to know when to shut up and mind. Just barely. ;)

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

I like this one better...<br /><br />
JustMarried.jpg

aspeck

Staff member

"Just remember, your mom and I brought you into this world. We can take you out also!"

NYMINUTE

Captain

071.gif
<br /><br /> EMPTY NEST! Beautiful words! After 4 of mine + 2 of hers.

spratt

Lieutenant

I have had to almost force my kids out of the home (because if you let them return to the nest, even if they say it is for a short recovery time to get back on their feet, they never seem to be able to do it!!)...I will say this, I love my kids to death, and it hurt like heck the first time they moved out, and every time they have to come back and leave again, even if kicking them out on the patooties, it still hurts!!! Had to go through it last night with my younger (24 year old) son. He divorced, lost his job, lost his car, all the things that seem to take a person down teh funnel to despair, started drinking again, and I lethim move back in about three weeks ago. I told him the first requirement was to get a job. He did, worked four days and got a $4/hr raise!! Great, now get a car, and he did...his boss GAVE him one that was sitting in his yard being unused!! Alright, now get a place, but that he didn't want to do. What he DID want to do was to carouse, drink, run with the boys and come home anytime he wanted, but he just wanted a place to "sleep". Wanted to be able to stay out all night or two if he desired, etc...<br /><br />Well, anyone who has read my posts knows what a conservative I am, and I am a Christian and have strict values. I am also raising two of my granddaughters temporarily and am trying hard to plant some much neded values and discipline in their little lives. There was no way I was going to let him come in adn disrupt my home with his ways, which I consider unacceptable anyway, and let these little darling girls see how he was living, and not being able to understand. BEIDES the fact that my wife and I had no privace when he is around, nor did he, so one would think that he would WANT a place of his own.<br /><br />Alright, problem solved...his boss allowed him to move into a trailer he owns until he saves enough cash to rent a place of his own. We provided him with dishes, silverware, blankets, bedding, towels, washcloths, groceries, alarm clock, you name it to make him able to survive in comfort...but you don't think it toremy heart out to see him go? To know he is out there, albeit old enough to survive, but still my flesh and blood...yeah.

NYMINUTE

Captain

1106.gif
hey flatbottoms.... Our sons are bloody twins. I thought my middle one was a "one of a kind" Copies almost to the letter.

spratt

Lieutenant

There are times, NYM, that I feel like a total failure. My wife adn I tried to raise these guys as best we could with out instruction manuals. Older turned out ok, but younger has spent time in prison for drug related charges, has failed at his marriage, failed at almost everything...yet he sees everything as everyone elses fault!!! It reminds me of those VietNam vets who came back witht he "I am owed everything" attitude (not knocking my good Nam pals!!!)...we try over and over to help but seems nothing works!!! He came home, said that he felt he really wanted to get back into church and renew his relationship with his wife and 2 yr old daughter (he previously walked out ont hem for a bar **** when teh baby was 3 months old), wanted to quit smoking, drinking, drugging, etc...so we let him come home, and you can see the rest in my previous post. He was working in Florida with his bronther in an Internet venture, but wound up stealing stuff and buying narcotics, so his brother fired him and made him leave. I am at my wit's end.

D

DJ

: what to say to teens in-house.. <br /><br />1. Get it right-"MY WAY".<br /><br />2. Get it straight. Again-"My way".<br /><br />3. Keep it straight. "My way". <br /><br />Age 18 does not an adult make. <br /><br />Support them as long as they support you-that's called family. A birthday does NOT make an adult.<br /><br />They want to wander? Let them, just not at your expense (insurance, etc).

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by FlatBottoms:<br /> There are times, NYM, that I feel like a total failure. My wife adn I tried to raise these guys as best we could with out instruction manuals. Older turned out ok, but younger has spent time in prison for drug related charges, has failed at his marriage, failed at almost everything...yet he sees everything as everyone elses fault!!! It reminds me of those VietNam vets who came back witht he "I am owed everything" attitude (not knocking my good Nam pals!!!)...we try over and over to help but seems nothing works!!! He came home, said that he felt he really wanted to get back into church and renew his relationship with his wife and 2 yr old daughter (he previously walked out ont hem for a bar **** when teh baby was 3 months old), wanted to quit smoking, drinking, drugging, etc...so we let him come home, and you can see the rest in my previous post. He was working in Florida with his bronther in an Internet venture, but wound up stealing stuff and buying narcotics, so his brother fired him and made him leave. I am at my wit's end.
My middle one spent countless days in youth detention for theft, intimidation etc. Straighted up, got married, 2 daughters, divorced, and left town. Comes back 2 years later, gets arrested for theft, gets work release. Marries his boss sister. Then gets robbed as the manager of a Lee's Famous Receipe, and lies about his wallet being stolen too. Now he is in work release again, D.I.L lives with her folks and my new grandson until he gets out. Got another job, but he blows every opportunity he gets. Older son (34) same employer since 16, single and likes it that way. younger son 26 is a teacher. Daughters no problem (youngest pays bills late) and step son also 28, was kicked out at 18 by my wife for striking her. Gone 10 years. He was a carbon of mine. My attitude today is I did my best, and it is now MY TURN to enjoy the short life I have ahead of me. I love the kid, but evidently he is too greedy to see that at 28. Hang Tough Flatbottms, we are survivors.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Mine are only 13 & 15. I use the following sometimes to repel an attack of the back-talks:<br /><br />"This isn't an argument between you & me about what is or isn't disrepectful. This is me telling you that your behavior was disrepectful. If you didn't intend disrespect, this would be the time to say so. But regardless, that kind of behavior will not be tolerated."

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

I have a sign in MY office that reads:<br /><br />RULES OF THE OFFICE: <br />rule #1) the boss is always right.<br />rule #2) if the boss is wrong, see rule #1

Twidget

Commander

My son is 8, so he is still at the 'Daddy knows everything' stage. Im going to keep that going as long as possible. <br /><br /> Im the oldest, with two sisters. Both parents divorced. The middle sister and I went with my Dad, baby sister with my Mom.<br /><br />Dad always said, 18 and out the door. At 18 I was in the Navy, to avoid the oil field(another story). I believed him, so I left. <br /><br />Middle sister is now 42, married with 4 kids and dependent on apronstrings for survival. Baby sister is 33, married with 3 kids and has sucked Mom dry and is trying to move in on middle sisters turf. I left at 18 and havent been back since(economically that is.)<br /><br />I dont understand how they do it. My step mom is one of those that if she gives you a dollar, she wants your soul. I couldnt do that voluntarily. I wonder sometimes what will become of my sisters when my Dad passes on, their husbands seem to have no motivation to support their kids.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

It seems more often than not, the definition of a "family" is a dictatorship, run by the weekest member.

spratt

Lieutenant

The one thing I have learned over the years fo raising children, is that you will never know the mistakes you made until they are grown and it is too late to change things. My boys are both so nice, pleasant, helpful, courteous, and so I know I did many things right. <br /><br />My greatest advice to young fathers (and mothers) is to spend as much quality time with those little ones as you possibly can, and maybe the greatest thing, is to praise all their accomplishments no matter how small.

Twidget

Commander

That sounds like very good advice FlatBottoms. Im doing my best to follow it. :)

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Twidget:<br /> My son is 8, so he is still at the 'Daddy knows everything' stage. Im going to keep that going as long as possible.
good luck Twidget. I'm with ya! That is the sweetest age for young boys. Keep him there as long as you can. Mine is twice + that age now. He lasted longer than most because he was homeschooled. He wasn't being influenced by all the other 'Lord of the Flies' unter muenche.<br /><br />But alas, once he turned 16 he quit sitting in the front seat with me, on Boy Scout outings. He gave up his coveted seat, with his Daddy, so that he could sit with his buds in the back seat. <br /><br />I need a big shedding a tear smiley!