what to do?

~ߺbb?~

Cadet
I bought a 196040hp eveinrude larkII always been well taken care of but been stored the last 8 years. I started it up and seems to run fine is there anything I should have done to it before I hit the water ?

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: whay to do?

Check the gearcase oil, and see that it is pumping water. Take it for a test run before spending money on anything. If you should find unusual noises, or shifting problems', a new water pump does'nt mean much.

lindy46

Captain

If it runs good and is pumping water, I'd still change out the impeller - it's at least 8 years old and could fall apart and cause significant problems. Also, change the oil in the lower unit.

~ߺbb?~

Cadet

If it runs good and is pumping water, I'd still change out the impeller - it's at least 8 years old and could fall apart and cause significant problems. Also, change the oil in the lower unit.

Thank you what about points if it runs should be good?

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: what to do?

yes on the oil /.Look hard for gas that has no ethonol.Those older engines certainly dont have the hose that works ok with it.Also,over time,the coils in those engines deteriorate,thats a FYI.Depending on how much your going to use it will dictate alot on the maint.Back in the day,yearly tune ups included new points,condenser,plugs ,gear oil and usually an impeller.If you decide to change the components under the flywheel,look closly at the coils for cracking to the insulated covering.If cracked,do yourself a favor and change both of them.It will run sometimes with some cracking .But over time,especially after the engine heat gets up there ,it can get worse quick.You dont want breakdown.

~ߺbb?~

Cadet
Re: what to do?

yes on the oil /.Look hard for gas that has no ethonol.Those older engines certainly dont have the hose that works ok with it.Also,over time,the coils in those engines deteriorate,thats a FYI.Depending on how much your going to use it will dictate alot on the maint.Back in the day,yearly tune ups included new points,condenser,plugs ,gear oil and usually an impeller.If you decide to change the components under the flywheel,look closly at the coils for cracking to the insulated covering.If cracked,do yourself a favor and change both of them.It will run sometimes with some cracking .But over time,especially after the engine heat gets up there ,it can get worse quick.You dont want breakdown.

I dont know how to do points or carb would it be expensive you think to have done?