what to do with some boating education

ziggy

Admiral
hey folk, <br />i been in the power squadron for a few years now. been takein classes and am up to, hopefully passin my advanced piloting class. just wondered how many others were interesed in futhering there recreational boatin skills and what ya've done with those skills? whether aquired thru the power squadron or uscg auxillary or other for that matter(militay?). or perhaps the question would be what could be done with the skills learned this way? is there any bennifit i wil be able to see other than hopefully boatin smart, so to speak... i just can't think of much to do with the knowlege bein a poor boater and landlocked in the middle of a corn field....perhaps i should move away from the corn field,,,,and learn not to be poor,,, :D .

Ilikesalmon

Seaman Apprentice
Re: what to do with some boating education

Hey Ziggystardust, I have been studying for a couple of months now to get a Captains license. I'm almost ready to take the exam. I have to go to Boston to the Coast Gaurd Exam Center to get fingerprinted probably in the next couple of weeks or so. Don't have any plan for the license after I get it. I am doing this mainly for the challenge of it and to become a "smarter boater". Very interesting and lots of fun too!

ziggy

Admiral

cool ilikesalmon. i guess that must be why i'm takeing it too. the fun of it. and the interest that i have in boating. man there is lots to learn. i've seen excerpts from the capt. lic. test. and it looks hard. you must get out on the ocean a lot to be able to log enough hours to get a capts lic. cool. i've never even boated in the ocean. sure would like to though. those tides look like they could be fun. depending on the depth. figureing them is sure fun at least...thats where im at in my class right now. ya know, decidein if my boat that drafts 3' will be able to traverse a couse over an area with mllw of 2' maybe at high tide perhaps. that kinda stuff. sure would make ya plan yer trip when takeing things like that into consideration. i never realized there was so much to learn till i stated with the classes. i'm just hopeing to pass my advance pilotin class. let alone a capt. lic. congrats for gettin that far. i'm envious of that kinda knowledge.....

Ilikesalmon

Seaman Apprentice

Ziggy, The license I am applying for is called an OUPV, meaning Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessel. With this license I could take up to 6 "paying customers" at a time. My boating is limited to Lake Champlain here in Vermont. Although Lake Champlain is "international water" my license will be for "inland only". These test questions are kicking my butt! Lots of hoops to jump through too. Getting a physical, drug testing, first aid, CPR, documenting sea time, safe boating course in Vermont, reference letters. I'm not complaining though. Just amazed at how little understanding I had about boats in general before I started this quest!<br /> :eek: