What to do with pre-existing transducer wires (PICS)

picflight

Cadet
Hello,

I have existing transducer and some sort of bracket attached on the transom. The wires leading to the transom are screwed on to the deck.

Can these wires and transducer be reused if I buy a new head unit?
What is typically done with wiring for existing fish finders?

Transducer and another bracket located on transom
DSC04574_1.jpg

Transducer wires leading from center console to Transom
DSC04473.jpg

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: What to do with pre-existing transducer wires (PICS)

The "some sort of bracket" is a speed wheel. It too is connected the head unit. That ducer LOOKS LIKE Lowrance but hard to say for sure. Any new unit you purchase, except very high end, will come with a new 'ducer. The old stuff can be removed and holes below the waterline filled with 5200, those above filled with 5200 or 4200.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

I would try to re-use the bracket that is holding your existing equipment. Extra holes plugged or not just don't look as clean IMO.
The 5200 is the way to plug em if need be.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

There are more transom rebuilds induced by the use of 5200 to seal old transducer mounting holes than all other things put together.

There are few methods you can use that will guarantee a permanent repair. The quickest and easiest is to counter sink the hole so that a flat head screw sets 1/8" or so below the surface. Fill the hole with epoxy and install the screw. Then fill the counter sink with Marine-Tex. Let dry and sand using progressively smoother sand paper. Done right, you would never know there was a hole.

Thalasso

Commander

As said above. looks like a Lowrance. Fill the screw holes with 5200. Get yourself a piece of starboard and screw it to the transom. Now you can mount the ducer. If you ever change it because you bought a newer model you can mount it to the starboard and not drill holes in the transom.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Good advice here.

First, I would not remove existing brackets; reuse them or abandon in place, but remove the below-water equipment. That is, if you know that they were installed and sealed correctly. Hmmmmm.

Second, I would not reuse old wiring, especially in underwater or salt water use. Not only are you asking for midline failure (especially with yours that you walk on) but you will bnever get good connections at your splices no matter how good you are at it. So again, abandon wires through the transom in place, or reuse the hole, and know it is sealed correctly.

Third, fix your walk-on wiring (note the substandard "stainless" steel screws) and run that wire in the hull to the console, or cover it.

picflight

Cadet

There are more transom rebuilds induced by the use of 5200 to seal old transducer mounting holes than all other things put together.

There are few methods you can use that will guarantee a permanent repair. The quickest and easiest is to counter sink the hole so that a flat head screw sets 1/8" or so below the surface. Fill the hole with epoxy and install the screw. Then fill the counter sink with Marine-Tex. Let dry and sand using progressively smoother sand paper. Done right, you would never know there was a hole.

@dingbat, you have provided very valuable information, thank you.

You don't want to just fill the screw hole with 5200 but rather install the screw and then fill it.

I hear a lot of mention of Marine-Tex, but my research (iBoat, Amazon, goog;e) has not been able to find the product everyone talks about. Can you please provide a link to the exact product to use?

Would I follow the same instructions on filling the screws holes on deck when I remove the wire there?

Last edited:

picflight

Cadet

Thank you @home for the advice.

Good advice here.

First, I would not remove existing brackets; reuse them or abandon in place, but remove the below-water equipment. That is, if you know that they were installed and sealed correctly. Hmmmmm.

This is the key, knowing that they were installed correctly in the first place.

So, in essence I should really remove and reseal. Can you point me to the exact products and instructions. I have not worked with fiberglass before but have worked with wood.

Both those device and bracket look like they are below waterline and in my opinion should be removed and sealed correctly.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

So, in essence I should really remove and reseal. Can you point me to the exact products and instructions. I have not worked with fiberglass before but have worked with wood.

See above..... I gave the instructions and the products to use

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Those are Eagle or Lowrance units (can be used on either head unit) so the only thing you need to look for is a head unit that has the proper connectors. There are a couple different types so look carefully. The paddle wheel speedometer unit also has the water temperature probe built into it.

Last edited:

picflight

Cadet

See above..... I gave the instructions and the products to use

"Fill the hole with epoxy and install the screw. Then fill the counter sink with Marine-Tex."

Is Marine-Tex not epoxy? Marine-Tex has a slew of products, not sure what is being referred to, putty or the pnes in tubes.

Would West Systems 105/205 not do the job of sealing the screw holes?

The screws are small, do I really need to leave then in place once I remove the hardware?

Thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

"Fill the hole with epoxy and install the screw. Then fill the counter sink with Marine-Tex."

Is Marine-Tex not epoxy? Marine-Tex has a slew of products, not sure what is being referred to, putty or the pnes in tubes.

Would West Systems 105/205 not do the job of sealing the screw holes?

The screws are small, do I really need to leave then in place once I remove the hardware?

Thanks.

Marine-tex epoxy putty. The stuff in the white box. You could use West Systems but it's three times the cost and not readily available unless you have a marine store close by.

The screw is an easy way to fill a blind hole and keep the epoxy thickness to a minimum at the same time. The alternative is to use a syringe to fill the hole from the bottom out since you can't just shove the epoxy into the hole because the air trapped behind it.

kahuna123

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Word of warning. Do not use too much marine tex. A good tip is to have some ice cubes on hand and use them to smooth it out. It will save you a lot of sanding. Never fill a hole with 5200. Its a great sealant. Not a hole filler