what thread sealant to use on fuel tank connection

tfret

Chief Petty Officer
I just got a new aluminum fuel tank fabricated. The shop used my old one as a pattern, and they re-used the barb fitting hose connections, and the threaded flared fitting that the fuel line connects to. The flared fitting is screwed into a pipe nipple on the tank. My questions is, what type thread sealant should I use on this connection to the tank? Teflon tape or some other type pipe dope? I'm not sure. Thanks for any suggestions.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: what thread sealant to use on fuel tank connection

Nothing on the threads. They will be fine.

Bondo

Staff member

The flared fitting is screwed into a pipe nipple on the tank.

Ayuh,... Use a teflon based plumbers paste type sealant on the pipethreads, 'n the flare fitting goes together dry...

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

I have a loctite brand thread sealant that I like. Any brand should be fine. Tape would work, but be careful not to get any off the end of the threads where it could be ingested into the fuel line.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

I personally like to use Permatex thread sealant on pipe joints, and as mentioned above, the flare fitting goes on dry:

permatex%20high%20performance%20thread%20sealant%2056521.JPG

sasto

Captain

I personally like to use Permatex thread sealant on pipe joints, and as mentioned above, the flare fitting goes on dry:

permatex%20high%20performance%20thread%20sealant%2056521.JPG

We have done the same for years.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nothing on the threads. They will be fine.

This is not a recommended practice for pipe threads. You need something to use as a lubricant to prevent galling and leakage on tapered threads. Even grease is better than dry threads.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

+2 on the permatex, used it for years

Last edited:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Anything that is used had best NOT have gasoline or alcohol as one of it's solvents. Teflon tape works. Does that permatex stuff disolve in gasoline? If so, don't use it. The permatex #2 does disolve in gasoline, BTW.

robert graham

Admiral

When I installed my fuel/water separator the instructions specified the Plumbers White Teflon Pipe Dope for the barb threads. It works fine, Ace Hardware or similar, 4 ounce tube...nice stuff! The Teflon Tape is specifically Not recommended since it is so totally inert and tends to shred out in the pipe threads creating "teflon hairs" which can and will plug up the fuel system downstream.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have been told NOT to use teflon tape for the reason Robert gives and also that gasoline/ethanol will dissolve it; better to use blue pipe dope from a tube.

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anything that is used had best NOT have gasoline or alcohol as one of it's solvents. Teflon tape works. Does that permatex stuff disolve in gasoline? If so, don't use it. The permatex #2 does disolve in gasoline, BTW.

You're comparing a gasket sealant, the Permatex #2, to pipe thread sealant? Sheeesh.............

BTW.....that Permatex sealant that was posted is resistant to gas, among other fluids......

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Another vote for the permatex sealant posted, that's what I use.

BoatNoobie

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought this from NAPA to use on my W/S.
post-101150-1196486519.jpg

On the back of the can, it specifically says it's for fittings and such. And states will not dissolve in gasoline.
http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...ts/auto_Permatex_High_Tack_Gasket_Sealant.htm

I do wish I could have bought only a small tube of it instead. I only needed 4 fittings done. I think it was like $6.