WHAT THE!?! - Lutheran Pastor with Kerry/Edwards 'BILLBOARD' in front yard !?!

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander
Need a little help here...<br /><br />Could someone please enlighten me as to this 'Community' leader's thoughts. <br /><br />I got a call from the man a few years ago when they were building the new church to help right the wrongs of the Amish carpenters the church hired to build the joint. <br /><br />(( Don't get me started on the Amish being 'craftsmen' - you can give ANY one eye'd farmer a hammer and a pile of wood and he'll build ya a barn. ))<br /><br /><br />anywho .. in dealing with the guy for a few weeks while things got re-built correctly I could never figure him ('it') out ... I just didn't like the guy.<br /><br />On my way out of town to run errands I took a different route which lead me past his place. When my headlights hit his front yard .. there it was... <br /><br /><br />I'm guessing a 6'x10' Kerry/Edwards billboard !?!<br /><br /><br />I nearly ran into the curb and his mail box looking to see if it was some kids prank or if it was for real.. <br /><br />..steel fence posts held it upright.<br /><br />I guess I'm still utterly contorted mentally and If any of you could please help explain my mental illusions ... please do.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: WHAT THE!?! - Lutheran Pastor with Kerry/Edwards 'BILLBOARD' in front yard !

Re: WHAT THE!?! - Lutheran Pastor with Kerry/Edwards 'BILLBOARD' in front yard !

I'm pretty convinced there's no truth to the alleged "Kerry-Lutheran conspiracy." Aren't Lutherans protestant, anyway? must be a coincidence.<br /><br />Or so they would have us believe...

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

jt - I don't know buddy .. I'm still spinnin' here...<br /><br />I hardly remember the 2-1/2 hour trip into Madison.<br /><br />All I can remember is seeing that freakin' billboard and this flash of white going past my trucks passenger side window that I believe was his mail box.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Even though Lutherans are Protestant, I don't think that they are considered Evangelical Protestants (unabashedly conservative) and they are very Catholicesque. As you know, Catholics to to be and vote quite Liberal.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Boom, I'm still confused as a nun at her own wedding.<br /><br />As a child i was raised in a small Scandinavian farm community(out in the pickers) Lutheran Church which was (and still to my knowledge is) very 'conservative' / Republican. <br /><br />Yes, I agree to the similarities to Catholicism and the liberal 'side effects' ..<br /><br />.. I don't know .. maybe it just blind-sided me.<br /><br />just talked outside with one of my neighbors and he said he noticed it a few days ago. He's a memeber of the church and clearly a Bush supporter .. He's a bit 'lou-lou' about it too.<br /><br />ROTFL ... welcome to my little piece of taxation hell!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

What am I missing here? Are you saying that all Lutherans are required to be Bush supporters? Are you saying the Lutheran Pastor that is also an American citizen has no right to publicly back one candidate on his own time? Post a sign by his own residence? Or are you just pisssed at the Amish? Please enlighten Me.

KaGee

Admiral

Barlow,<br /><br />I have a similar dilemma. My FIL is a retired pastor from an evangelical/Pentecostal denomination. Although he never pastor'd full time. He was also a carpenter and was always a "union" man. Two weekends ago we went to celebrate their 50th anniversary. Right there in the middle of the front yard... a Kerry/Edwards sign. I could not believe it. We hardly spoke all weekend.<br /><br />I am at a loss as to how a minister of the Gospel, can in good contience (sp) support anyone for public office who is so blatently for so many issues that morally oppose the Gospel.<br /><br />On a side note... FIL has always talked about going behind the Amish and "cleaning up their mess". They are just like any other group of people... they have their slackers too.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

A survey that I saw said catholics who regualrly attend church support Bush, and those that occasionally attend church support Kerry.<br /><br />Kerry claims to be catholic, but he certainly doesnt let his votes show it.<br /><br /><br />Ken

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Willy .. I don't know what I'm sayin' here .. the whole situation is a bumbled mess.<br /><br />Never did like the guy and I'm not a part of the congregation so I should've just laughed about it and turned the radio up.<br /><br />Just believe that a man of Biblical stature would wipe his arse with the same hand every time.<br /><br />
posted by WillyBWright:<br /> Or are you just pisssed at the Amish?
.. Nope - They have the right to build crap just like anyone else does. <br /><br />Its the poor ignorant clients fault for hiring the hacks (yes, a generalization).

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many times the minister is the most liberal person in the congregation. That doesn't happen to be true in my congregation, but it often is true. Almost all denominations have a variety of congregations that can be anywhere from very conservative to very liberal. I know a great many liberal ministers who, in my mind, have a questionable theology. I do not judge them, if they know that other carpenter, and who He is, and what He has done, then I just accept that there are many differences in the faith.

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

Sorta surprised ya huh KaGee.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Barlow:<br /> Sorta surprised ya huh KaGee.
The sign was the surprise... he's never done that before.<br /><br />His blind support of the "union's" choice not so surprising, but so very dissapointing. :(

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

I here ya KaGee ... my ex-father-in-law was a 'local Union' rep.<br /><br />The blindness and ignorance drove me nuts..<br /><br />HA!! .. The blind leading the blind.<br /><br /><br /> :D

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by hayhauler:<br /> ... I know a great many liberal ministers who, in my mind, have a questionable theology. I do not judge them, ...
You are right Hayhauler... I do not judge the matters of the heart that concerns one's relationship with the Almighty. <br /><br />However the Scripture is very clear that we are allowed and in some cases encouraged to judge matters of behaviour, when behaviour conflicts with what Scripture teaches. <br /><br />As a preacher of the Gospel, my FIL by supporting JFK in essence delcares:<br />* that Abortion is OK, <br />* GAY Marriage is OK, <br />* Using human embryos for research is OK, <br />* the confescation (sp) of personal wealth for the purpose of redistributing to others is OK, <br />* and last but not least, My God is not big enough or good enough to take care of me, so I need someone in government to look out for my every little desire instead.<br /><br />This is what has me frustrated with FIL! :mad:

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Religion doesn't exist in a vacuum. We might be Catholic, Protestant, Catholicesque (love that word, Boomyal), Muslim, or a nice Poly-Cotton blend, but we are also citizens.<br /><br />Your FIL is a complex character, kagee, who like the rest of us, must practice cognitive dissonance - we tolerate seemingly intolerable inconsistencies because that's the only way to juggle our roles & make to the end of the day without going stark raving mad.<br /><br />Consider:<br />* It is possible for a reasonable, rational person to believe that abortion can be both tragic and legal. Not all bad things are illegal and not all legal things are OK.<br />* Same with gay marriage. What special qualifications do politicians have that gives them the right to say who can or can't get married? If it's a religious issue, why put it in the hands of the politicians?<br />* Would you prohibit using human cadavers in med schools?<br />* "Give unto Ceasar that which is Ceasar's, give unto God that which is God's." Jesus advised His followers to pay their taxes, without commenting on the Romans' use of the funds. Come to think of it, didn't Jesus advise a certain rich man to distribute his wealth to others?<br />* God has many ways of looking out for you; sometimes His care comes in the form of help from other people, maybe even [gasp] government.<br /><br />I agree with kagee; sometimes we must make reasoned judgements about others based on observed behaviors - but we should try not to judge the person, or make assumptions about their motives.<br /><br />just my 2¢<br /><br />jtw

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

KaGee, I hope your FIL would disagree with those things about Kerry, but just agreed with him on some other issues that he thought had to be the issues that he voted on. I'm not sure what his logic was.<br /><br />One of the first churches I ever served was in B'ham, Alabama. My members were still extrememly motivated by racial fear and in a few cases hatred. I disagreed with them, but I also learned that they were people with love in their hearts who believed in the power of Christ. I had to learn to disagree with them on something very important to me, and not judge them on the basis of it.

KaGee

Admiral

^5er's J... "poly cotton blends".... thats funny!<br /><br />Guess that's what I am... a "Poly Cotton Blend - American" LOL!<br /><br />I know we all have our own ideas of morality. And those ideas are sometimes relative. Biblical morality is never relative, it is always absolute because God's Word is always absolute. However, though it be absolute, compliance cannot be mandated or legislated. It must be voluntary and adopted within one's heart.<br /><br />Other thoughts... Something "legal" in the eyes of men does not automatically make it so in the eyes of God.<br /><br />Yes, Jesus did pay taxes and instructed us to do so. Zacheus, after his encounter with Christ also paid back taxes he collected unfairly... with interest. The tax should be levied to accrue the funds necessary for government to provide certain basic services, not as a means of socio-economic experimentation/structuring/behavior modification.<br /><br />Yes, Jesus did instruct the rich man to sell what he had and give to the poor. The context of that scripture was for him to examine which was more important... his posessions... or his desire to follow after Christ.
<br />Matt 19:21-22<br />Jesus said to him, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell what you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me." But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful, for he had great possessions. (NKJ)
Indeed the principle of giving and sharing is throughout the New Testament. But, it was always voluntary! Taking care of the poor was a responsibility given to the Church... not government. This is perhaps one of the modern day church's greatest failures in obviscating (sp) this to the government.<br /><br />Have a super day in Texas J!<br />Keith