what stats??????

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class
can someone show me a pic of what my stats should look like and the springs for the poppet valves. I have a funny feeling the marina gave me the wrong stats and poppet springs. at first they said no we do not have them, then said wait let me look at somthing here , then all of a sudden yea we have them. the springs look long and by the time you put them in and compress them sure does feel tight. almost could not see the water preasure opening the poppet vaves. and the stats are silver and have no bypass hole to let air out help please if you can. new motor here and dont want to sound the horn, very nurvous as my horn sounded with these new parts in it before it ate a ring. i bout these stats and poppet valves and springs before it blew up.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: what stats??????

can you tell us what your working on? if its a cross flow v4 then<br />make sure you use the t-stats with vents. the part number from sierra is posted on another post in this forum. I dont have my parts book here. if you use the stainless ones cut a vet in them.<br /> good luck and keep posting

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yep, its a 92 90 horse v-4 cross flow. should the springs in my poppet valves be 3 inches long? seems as when i get them installed they are very tight. I can tell this because when putting them in the stat housing, the housing is very far away from the exhaust that it bolts up to, having to push on it to get the bolts to start on the housing. I just cant help but to wonder how 15 lbs of water preasure opens these poppet valves.

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander

They sound like OMC stats since theirs are stainless without a vent and Sierra's are brass. If you have the box they came in, the part number is 393659. The poppet springs are part number 317245.

tvpear12

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey jack is that stat number for the sierras or omc?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

You don't have to worry about venting on the thermostats if you use a 3 corner file and make a small notch in each of the white pressure relief valves. Orient the notch at the bottom (6:00 position) so the thermostat housing will drain when the motor stops. That cuts down on corroding the thermostats. The factory stainless steel thermostats work better and last longer in salt water than the brass ones do.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hahahaah I see seahorse has had similar problems with the engineering brillance at OMC. the venting of the poppets should work as well. the object is to allow water to flow and let the hot water open the t-stats before the block heats up.<br /> good luck and keep posting