What speed should I get?

valencehsift

Seaman
1994 four winns 14 foot with a 115 Johnson Evinrude jet, about what speed should I be hitting? It seems slow.

Evinrude.jpg

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What speed should I get?

well you should be hitting what a boat that size does with 70hp propped engine. the jet drive losses 30% of the horsepower, due to ineffientcy.

valencehsift

Seaman

Ok, so would a good guestimate be about 50 mph if not a little better? Small boat, fare sized engine.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade

from the pic if that boat had a 70 hp outboard i would think 40mph would be the max. Why? how fast are you going if you don't know borrow a cheap handheld gps from a friend if you dont have one and see for your self or just ride along side a buddy boat w/speedo if you don't have one.

-Nate

I am guessing this based on my boat that NADA says weighs 600lbs dry (thats no stuff motor, fuel etc) and i have a propped 60 hp and hit a little over 30mph w just myself and from the pic i think my 16ft skiff should weigh less than you boat.

josh_2562

Seaman

i have a 14ft with the mercury sport jet 120 and it does around 50 by the speedo in the boat. hope this helps

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

four winns is the only one to use that set up, it was a coordinated effort between them and omc.