What "solvent" to use when cleaning Flame Arrestor

murphini

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've read the manuals and posts on cleaning the flame arrestor with "solvent" for winterizing. My feeble mind thinks a solvent is something like turpentine?...paint thinnner?....wd40?...peanut butter?-- it gets gets gum unstuck from hair, but that can't be right)<br /><br />Question(s)<br />What solvent to use?<br />How to clean?<br />Immerse or spray?<br />When put the flame arrestor back on, do you put a bag over it to keep moisture out during the lay up?<br /><br />My gut says that it's only a dumb question if you don't ask it.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner
Re: What "solvent" to use when cleaning Flame Arrestor

I find brake cleaner works real well....Then blow out with compreesed air.....Putting a plastic bag over the flame arrestor is a good thing as long as you seal it tightly, i.e. duct tape....JK

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Odor Free Mineral Spirits.............

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Odor Free Mineral Spirits.............

ziggy

Admiral

ditto. brake clean and a plastic bag over the FA for layup. though i use a hair tie to keep it tight at the bottom. i also don't have compressed air. so i air dry after the brake clean is running clear for cleaning the FA. it drys real fast too. compressed air would be better though. wish i had some...........

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Brake cleaner is good, some carb cleaner will get the real tough stuff.I bring mine to work and throw it in the parts cleaner for a while and then use the brake cleaner to dry it out.Dont put the plastic bag over it.Put the plastic bag over and around the carb pushing a small hole for the air cleaner stud and then put the air cleaner over the bag and this will seal the carb up good.Charlie

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.........<br /><br />Any of the Solvents in a can will do Just Fine,.........<br />If you Don't have access to Compressed Air,....... It's the Best Option,........... ;)

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Murphani, Use anything you have laying around. Most of the dirt is not too oily and will come out with alcohol, paint thinner, acetone... I even used the garden hose to blow out the dirt from the inside. I either soak it in a solvent after that, or let it dry in the sun before I install it.<br /><br />I can't recommend sealing up the carb intake. I have had much worse experience (and corrosion) with sealed stuff where moisture gets trapped inside, than leaving it open to the air. You fog the motor right?<br /><br />A never put a plastic bag on the lower unit. Can't understand why it needs it. Mine stays in salt water all season. If it can survive that, a little rain won't hurt it. Keep it verticle however, to keep the ice out of the exhaust housing.

DukesFin

Chief Petty Officer

I used a can of carb cleaner on mine. Came out like new. I didn't have a compressor down in Florida when I did it, so I let it dry in the sun for about 1 hour (just to be sure) before I re-installed it. Made a huge difference too!

rbezdon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I vote carb cleaner in the spray can. Gets the stuff to flow through the "filter" of the arrestor, dries fast and cleans any oily residue from the breathers.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by ziggystardust:<br /> plastic bag over the FA for layup. though i use a hair tie to keep it tight at the bottom.
Would it not be easier (like I do) to put a plastic grocery bag over the FA screw and carb, then put on the FA? Much better seal

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Chris1956:<br />I can't recommend sealing up the carb intake. I have had much worse experience (and corrosion) with sealed stuff where moisture gets trapped inside, than leaving it open to the air. <br /><br /><br />Hmmmmmmmm..<br /> Sorry, I have to differ here (From another post of mine elsewhere) Any raw water cooled motor is a rust and corrosion MAKER. During a saltwater season, the block is more corroded in one year than a "condensated" motor in 10 years of just sitting. And you are wrong on condensation causing rust. Moisture in the AIR causes rust. Condensation is a barrier to air. Put a piece of bare, sanded metal outside and a drop of water on it. see where the rust starts. It tends to drizzle a touch in Washington State in the winter, and cars/trucks here have no rust with 100,000's of thousand's of miles. As I stated in a previous post somewhere here, any barrier is better than pure air, and those internal block passages stay wet after draining and putting the plugs back in, and covering all the openings. <br /><br />And...........<br /><br /> A never put a plastic bag on the lower unit. Can't understand why it needs it. Mine stays in salt water all season. If it can survive that, a little rain won't hurt it. Keep it verticle however, to keep the ice out of the exhaust housing.
" keep the ice out of the exhaust housing." <br /> Actually the bag or cover on my Volvo Penta is an exhaust covering, and too keep the water from accumulating, freezing, and splitting my lower into little pieces. But you DO have to make sure it does nor COLLECT water or moisture.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

G/P Engine gunk works and washes off with water

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have some cleaner that is used for air conditioner coils. Basically a soap. <br /><br />You dilute it with water as per the instructions, put it into a small pan and let the arrester soak for a little bit, hose it off, and air dry. Clean as a whistle.<br /><br />You get it at appliance parts stores, and it lasts forever.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br />[QB] Condensation is a barrier to air. Put a piece of bare, sanded metal outside and a drop of water on it. see where the rust starts. It tends to drizzle a touch in Washington State in the winter, and [/b] <br /><br /> Wow, was I WRONG. I did just that, and the next day (even within an hour-cool and drizzly), the rust started UNDER the water. I would have thought the bare metal would start first. Back to the drawing board. Sorry for the bad info. I will correct the other post elsewhere on this screw-up.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have never found enough dirt in a flame arrestor. Face it . It is NOT a air filter. Flame arrestors stop flames, not dirt. To this day I still can't figure out why a boat engine could not have the flame arrestor first, then around that, a standard auto air filter to catch the dirt you guys are always washing out. Any answer you give will not make sense.

lakelivin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I washed mine out with grease cleaner & water first, then I soaked it overnight in mineral spirits in a shallow throwaway aluminum pan (like a frozen pie pan, or a cobbler pan, etc.). Blew it out from the inside with canned air (like for computers) the next day. Canned air is somewhat expensive at regular stores, but a two pack at Sams or Costco is very reasonable, will last a long time, & you may be surprised how often you'll use it for things you wouldn't anticipate. Plus occasionally taking off the top or panel to your computer & other electronics (recaiver, dvd player, etc.) & blowing off the dust that has accumulated is a good idea. <br /><br />To me the good thing about doing it this way was that there were particles at the bottom of the pan, but nothing that seemed to mix with the mineral spirits, it stayed completely clear. I just carefully poured the used spirits into a jar (keepig the particles in the pan), and then poured the mineral spirits back into the can for reuse.<br /><br />Worked great.