What size(weight) Axle and springs do i need

Q_ball

Seaman
My axle is cracked and one side has a leaf missing. This axle is not the origonal to the trailer, it was someones backyard engineering(probably why it cracked).
I want to get a complete new set up including the axle, spring and whells but i don't have any idea how much my boat will weigh when im done with it.

So...what size do you guys think? 1500# or 2500# axle.

my project is a 14.5' tri hull with a Merc 50hp and a Merc 5hp kicker, 13gal fuel tank, two batteries. the HIN has it rated for 55hp, 5 persons or 1200 lbs max payload including people.

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0

sublauxation

Lieutenant
Re: What size(weight) Axle and springs do i need

Try ABCTrailerparts.com or Tractor supply. A 3500lb axle and springs are pretty cheap, only a couple bucks more than a 2000lb and you wont have to worry about the weight of gear you load up.

Q_ball

Seaman

3500# is what i was thinking for that same reason but my dad has a REALLY heavy duty trailer and if it's not loaded down it will bounce all over instead of the springs soaking up the bumps.

Am I just over complicating thing?

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Any idea what your boat weighs? I had a 14 ft trihull and it was pretty damned heavy. Most axles out there are 2000lb or 3500lb. I'd be leery of 2000lbs being too light if you have gear and gas. Keep in mind that's a 100lb kicker, 300 lb outboard, 175 lbs in battery, 100lbs of gas.......

Q_ball

Seaman

when you put it that way, 3500 makes more sense.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

It adds up pretty quick when you think about it, and most of those little glass boats are pretty damned solid and weigh a lot more than you'd think. I'm pretty sure my little 14 footer was heavier than my 18 ft aluminum and that sits on a 3500lb axle. I bought mine from ABC, the link I gave you. I've had it for 3 years with no issues. The guy is a little gruff but is willing to spend the time over the phone to make sure you get the right axle and springs, and his prices are hard to beat.

Trailerguy34

Cadet

I would check out the diameter of your axle .

1 3/4 " in diameter = 2000 lb axle
2 3/4 " in diameter = up to a 3700 lb axle
3" in diameter = up to a 7 k axle

That is where you would find out the true weights of your axle .

7 inch hub drums = 2k
10 inch hub drums = 3500
12 inch hub drum with 6 bolts = 6K
12 inch hub drum with 8 bolts = 7k .

Hope this finds you well. Let me know if you need more answered .

Take care !

Q_ball

Seaman

Thanks Trailerguy34.
This is really good info to have and i've saved it on my computer for future use but unfortunately it won't help on this since this axle is not the original. It started out two feet shorter and is a C channel that was torched in half and a piece of 2"rigid conduit was welded( very poorly) in the center. Just to the inside of the spindal they added a pics of angle iron over the crack.
The previon owner had a welder and plenty of scrop metal but didn't know how to use any of it.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

I don't know the specs but the spindle size will also tell you what you have now. Also add to your weight 300 lbs for the trailer, though it's probably more. If you go with 3500 lbs I would not get a cambered (curved) axle because there's a good chance you'd be running on the light side and the axle may not straighten out. I've specifically been told not to buy a cambered axle to begin with, but especially if you aren't running near the top of the capacity.