what size trolling motor should i buy for a 14ft aluminum slvan boat?

nitro21slck

Recruit
hello i was just wondering what would be the efficient amount of thrust i should use with my 14ft aluminum sylvan boat?

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer
Re: what size trolling motor should i buy for a 14ft aluminum slvan boat?

I just put a 40lb thrust bow mount on my 15ft fiberglass runabout and it works good.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I use a 30 lb thrust MinnKota on my 12' aluminum and it's perfect. $110 brand new and tough as nails. I hit a pretty decent size log last week and heard a very loud cracking sound and my buddy and I both thought the motor shaft was done.

It was the wood cracking:D and she's no worse for wear. They bend but don't break.

John_S

Rear Admiral

There can be allot of variance in 14' boats. Please provide more details about boat and how you plan to use the trolling motor. Such as:

- sole means of propulsion
- positioning motor for fishing
- actual trolling

The more details you provide the better the responses.

nitro21slck

Recruit

i have a 15hp johnson already on it an that pushes it to the max...however i have a long shaft moter an launching in shallow water is a pain..so i just want a minumum amount of thrust as possible(cheaper) that could move my boat..thanks

John_S

Rear Admiral

Just about anything will move a boat. Yours sounds like a "lite" 14'er if 15hp is the max. A 30lb should be sufficient. You generally don't max speed it with a trolling motor through hazardous shallows, either.

s.cummings

Cadet
Re: what size trolling motor should i buy for a 14ft aluminum boat?

Re: what size trolling motor should i buy for a 14ft aluminum boat?

Have a 14 ft shallow hull lund and picked up a minn kota sonar 35 trolling motor with 17lbs thrust. Is this enough to move me through the weeds?

Shizzy

Ensign

I have a 40lb Minnkota on my 14'er. Does your boat have decking and all that or is it just a bare tub?